Are the Instructions Important?
Membership Level› Guest
Author/Source: Rick Blevins
Topic: Bible Study
THEME: Sometimes life is like a jumbled mess of pieces, but God places all the parts there to make something cool out of it if we will follow His instructions. Trying to live our lives without following God’s Word is like trying to build a model car without the instructions.
OPENING ACTIVITY: Distribute snap-together model car kits* to students or teams of students (some with instructions, some without, some with instructions read by student to a blindfolded partner who must be the only one to touch the pieces). Give the students time to work on the model kits. Do not let anyone borrow instructions from another person. When those with instructions have all completed their kits stop everyone from working.
- How did those of you without instructions feel while you were trying to build your model car?
- How did those of you who were blindfolded feel while you were trying to build your model?
- What were some of the problems you encountered in the building process?
- How did those of you with instructions feel while you were building your model?
- What frustrations did those of you with blindfolded partners encounter?
- Which group had the advantage and the best opportunity to successfully complete the model car? Why?
I. God does have a plan for us.
13 For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb.
14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.
15 My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place. When I was woven together in the depths of the earth,
16 your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be.
11 For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD , "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
II. We can see this plan through His Word.
Psalm 119:105, 130, 133
105 Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path.
130 The unfolding of your words gives light; it gives understanding to the simple.
133 Direct my footsteps according to your word; let no sin rule over me.
III. Following the plan brings success.
24“Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. 25The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. 26But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand. 27The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash.”
God has a special and exciting plan for your life. To find this plan and successfully live life to it’s fullest (abundant life) you must follow His instructions. God’s Word is your instruction book. Are you studying and following the instruction?
* Snap-together model kits are available in bulk at an economic rate through Revell’s Make ‘n Take program. Details are on the Revell website at www.revell-monogram.com.