It Takes Two
Membership Level› Guest
Author/Source: Mark Harper
Topic: Prayer of Salvation
Here is an object lesson to demonstrate the importance of believing in Jesus and confessing Him as Lord.
Scripture Reference: Romans 10:9, “If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.” (NLT)
Take Home Point:
1. Believe in your heart that God raised Jesus from the dead.
2. Confess with your mouth that “Jesus is Lord.”
What You Need:
- Two dead car batteries (borrow from an auto store)
- 1 pair of jumper cables
- Wooden or Rubbermaid table (no metal on table)
Preparation: Make sure batteries are dead. Before class place them on table.
Object Lesson Application: Kids, let’s pretend for a minute that I am not a Christian. I walk into children’s church today and say, “I want to become a Christian. Can anybody pray with me to become a Christian?” (If someone raises their hand, ask them to come up front and lead you in the “Prayer of Salvation.” There is a good chance that most of the kids will not know how to pray with somebody else to get saved.)
(Next you will want to challenge the kids in your class.)
Say: As Christians we need to know how to pray the “Prayer of Salvation” so we can do what Jesus said and “fish for men.” The “Prayer of Salvation” is really easy to pray. It is kind of like these jumper cables.
(Hold up the jumper cables)
Say: Has your mom or dad ever left the lights on in your car and the car battery died? What do you need to do if the car battery dies? You need to borrow someone else’s car and hook up the dead battery to the live battery.
(Hook up both of the positive lines with the red clamps)
Say: Okay, I’ve hooked up the batteries now. Is this good enough?
(Allow for response)
Say: No? How come this isn’t good enough? Oh, I see. I also have to hook up the negative cables. If I just hook up the positive cables – nothing happens.
The “Prayer of Salvation” is like this. You have to do two things to be saved.
- (Hold up red cable) Believe in your heart that Jesus rose from the dead.
- (Hold up black cable) Say with your mouth that Jesus is Lord. If you just do one of these, nothing happens. There is no flow of God’s power for salvation. Who can tell me what are the two things you need to include when praying the “Prayer of Salvation?”
- Believe in your heart that Jesus rose from the dead.
- Say with your mouth that Jesus is Lord. Now would be a great time to give a salvation altar call. You could even let one of the older kids pray with the children who come forward.