Login
Surveys

Do you do background checks at your church?

view more surveys
It makes a huge impact to learn from pastors in other churches. That is what I am doing with this board (The Network Forum) ...learning from other folks in different churches. I have learned more on this board than I have probably learned in my 15 years of directing children's ministry.
-Jayne Ricker
Background Checks Kidology Garage Sale Children's Ministry Magazine

Discussion Forums

Active Topics  |  Search  |  Help
Let's Talk Children's Ministry
 Kidology Forums : Let's Talk Children's Ministry
Subject Topic: Teens teaching Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Basic Member
Basic Member

Posted: 06 March 2007 at 12:22pm | IP Logged Quote 7872119

Anyone use teenagers to teach the lessons to 2-5 year olds?  We do and there is always an adult in the room as the supervisor.  All of a sudden there a family complaining that I should not allow the teens to teach. I believe that we should allow the teens to use the gifts that God has blessed them with. I do not take these positions lightly and only use teens that are rooted and grounded in the Lord, have the support of their families and are responsible.  In fact some are more responsible than some of the adults that we use to teach.
Back to Top View 7872119's Profile Search for other posts by 7872119 Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

Nomi
Basic Member
Basic Member

Posted: 06 March 2007 at 12:31pm | IP Logged Quote Nomi

I don't have any teenagers teaching mainly because there aren't any at my church that are interested in that...However -- I was that teenager that taught the younger kids -- that is how I caught the ministry bug! I am now 23 and have been in full time ministry almost 3 years and have been teaching in some way, shape, or form since I was 12....So I say as long as they are grounded in God, faithful, and responsible -- and there is an adult present -- let 'em have at it! You never know how God may use that opportunity in shaping their lives...
Back to Top View Nomi's Profile Search for other posts by Nomi Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

sgphillips
Yosemite Summiteer
Yosemite Summiteer
Scott Phillips

Posted: 06 March 2007 at 1:14pm | IP Logged Quote sgphillips

We do use teenagers on a case by case basis.  They are evaluated based on their maturity, spiritual knowledge, and committment.  Probably harder than we do the adult .

Funny story, my daughter that help me out (17 in April) was recently teaching some younger kids and they got on the subject of Power Rangers.  She told them "WHEN I WAS A KID my favorite was the pink ranger, ...  She told me that she saw herself as her OLD dad up there telling them kid stories.  She told me later that she was thinking I SOUND LIKE MY DAD.

Ok back on track (do we have an emoticon warning of bunny trails?), I would look at each teenager individually and see were they are with the Lord, their family, community, and church.  If they are they type of person that would be a positive role model for the kids and they have a desire - let them teach.  I know personally I have had less qualified adults simply because we had an adult volunteer (oohh goodie a warm body - do you want to teach).  If you have one or two adults that do not like the idea ask them when they want to take over the class and teach for them.  I have had situtations were the adults can tell everything that is wrong or the things that they do not like but are never there to help out or volunteer to fix it.

Back to Top View sgphillips's Profile Search for other posts by sgphillips Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

val_514
Premium Member
Premium Member

Posted: 06 March 2007 at 2:12pm | IP Logged Quote val_514

I agree completely with Nomi. That was me too. I was teaching at a young age and continued working with the kids even when I was attending college in a neighboring community. I am now 24 and have been full time for just over a year now. I have a young teenager - she's a freshman in high school and when I look at her I see myself. She is the person on Sunday mornings who knows everything I do and I can't be there she can fix it (like the sound system, dvd player etc). I don't know what I'd do with out her. I am taking time off this summer from teaching because I am having a baby and she is going to teach for 5 weeks (school age kids), she has taught before and because of her young age and heart the kids really respect her and she brings such a youthfulness to her ministering.
The only thing that is tricky is making sure I still have 2 adults with her because she is not legally an adult.
Back to Top View val_514's Profile Search for other posts by val_514 Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

praiser
Premium Member
Premium Member

Posted: 06 March 2007 at 2:27pm | IP Logged Quote praiser

I'm not one to use teens as the lead teacher, but I do have them assist. Perhaps when you talk to the parents, you could assure them of several things. Do the teens have any training? Have you personally taught them and have major oversight to what they are doing or is it a gift that's being developed on it's own? Do they have other church services where they attend regularly? Who is the authority figure in the classroom? Teens or the adults? Do the adults in the classroom know they are supervising the teens and can come to you if they have concerns? I think communicating to the parents these things can help alot. (It would help me, cause I would probably have the same concerns) One last thing - I certainly think teens should be given opportunities, but with guidelines/boundaries. I have seen it work well...such as the cases of those who testified they were teen teachers...but I have also seen it work badly when teens were good at it but not grounded in the Word 'cause they served in youth group & with kids and never went to service to hear the Word preached.
Back to Top View praiser's Profile Search for other posts by praiser Visit praiser's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

zNyteAngel
Premium Member
Premium Member

Posted: 06 March 2007 at 2:39pm | IP Logged Quote zNyteAngel

I taught at a young age as well, that's really what helped me become grounded in the Word and grow in a personal relationship with Christ.

I let teenagers teach our 3-5 year olds and an adult is always present. I hold monthly meetings with all our teens to answer questions, have devotions, train them, and address any issues.

I've only had a couple of families that have expressed they are uncomfortable with it, but I've talked with the families to find out what there real concerns were and at the end they accepted having the teens teach. Our Pastor is 100% behind it.

I truly believe that you need to get teens/kids involved so they later in life they are STILL involved in the church. I'm 24 and I've been involved with helping since I was 6 years old in the church and started teaching younger kids when I was 12... and I'm still teaching! :)

Bekah

Bekah
Back to Top View zNyteAngel's Profile Search for other posts by zNyteAngel Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

MarkyMarc
Kidmin Pro
Kidmin Pro
Marc Romero, Kidology Champion

Posted: 06 March 2007 at 3:03pm | IP Logged Quote MarkyMarc

It's so cool to read your testimonies of how God used you as a teen and now you're in ministry.  I think people have a fear and mistrust of teens that is just sad.  I've seen God use teens to do amazing things.

I think the keys to using teens are to make sure you've invested time in training them and that they have very defined roles to fill - as it is with any volunteer you use, no matter the age.  Teens can be a HUGE asset to kids' ministry but they can also derail you faster than you can imagine. 

Also, make sure your youth pastor/director supports your vision.  I told my youth pastor that having teens serve with me in kids' church will help them be better ministers on his mission's trips, youth services, outreaches...etc.  He's behind me 100% and uses the kids' ministry as one of the ways to train teens to serve.

Back to Top View MarkyMarc's Profile Search for other posts by MarkyMarc Visit MarkyMarc's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

kidrev2
Premium Member
Premium Member

Posted: 06 March 2007 at 3:25pm | IP Logged Quote kidrev2

I attended a workshop by Reggie Joiner at Northpoint who gave a statistic that teens who serve in the church are several times less likely to fall away from the church when they are in college. I don't remember the exact quote perhaps some else out there can recall that statistic.

Larry

Back to Top View kidrev2's Profile Search for other posts by kidrev2 Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

Marian
Premium Member
Premium Member

Marian Crowley

Posted: 06 March 2007 at 5:50pm | IP Logged Quote Marian

I have to chime in here.  I was/am both a teen who taught (5 year old Sunday school)  and a Children's Pastor who loves to see teens minister in a variety of ways.   I have them teaching (with adults accompanying)  assisting,  running tech,  leading worship,  and serving in small groups.  Some of my very best volunteers are my youngsters.  I am grateful for every gifted young person the Lord sends our way. 

In my opinion,  one of the keys to working with teenage help is to let them "season" your ministry settings.  Like salt,  too much (or too many) at once can ruin the flavor of what you are doing,  both for kids and for parents. 

In addition I want to echo the comment of MarkyMarc when he cites the importance of having your Youth leadership in the loop. Also, I do require that,  like all our volunteer staff,  our teens attend a church service or their youth service.

1 Timothy 4:12 seems applicable here:   Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity.

Back to Top View Marian's Profile Search for other posts by Marian Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

Pastor2Kids
Premium Member
Premium Member

Posted: 06 March 2007 at 8:12pm | IP Logged Quote Pastor2Kids

Let me stir the pot some on this...

Does using teens in your minstry lead to conflict with the youth ministry?  Plus, if a teen is always in service and never involved in youth Bible studies or worship of any sort, is that what's best for them?

I'm not anti-youth, I just wanted to throw those points out there. In fact, the seed was planted in my life that grew into being called to children's ministry when I was an 18 year old assistant teacher in a 2nd grade Sunday School class.

Jesus, Family, Kids...
The rest is just... the rest
Back to Top View Pastor2Kids's Profile Search for other posts by Pastor2Kids Visit Pastor2Kids's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

MarkyMarc
Kidmin Pro
Kidmin Pro
Marc Romero, Kidology Champion

Posted: 06 March 2007 at 10:08pm | IP Logged Quote MarkyMarc

That's a great point - you can't allow kids' ministry to be a place for teens to escape from being in a worship experience.  We require that everyone involved in ministry in our church attend at least one worship service a week.

Again, you have to strategize with your youth director/pastor.  Make them a part of the process on how teens are utilized.   It's such a huge benefit for both of you that it's totally worth talking about it.

Also - a big AMEN to Marian - teens need to be sprinkled in.  One of the best benefits of using teens in ministry is having adults there to mentor them.  That takes the sting out of seeming like teens are "taking over" the kids' ministry.

Back to Top View MarkyMarc's Profile Search for other posts by MarkyMarc Visit MarkyMarc's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

kidrev2
Premium Member
Premium Member

Posted: 06 March 2007 at 11:22pm | IP Logged Quote kidrev2

We have begun a process where we rotate classes for Senior High quarterly and teens are encouraged to serve one quarter a year in a ministry somewhere.

All of my interns to this point have started with me in children's ministry volunteering some as early as 8th grade. We need to build them as valued volunteers. Take them to conferences and training as well as give them responsibilities that are more than babysitting.

Back to Top View kidrev2's Profile Search for other posts by kidrev2 Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

Lioness223
Premium Member
Premium Member

Posted: 07 March 2007 at 12:19pm | IP Logged Quote Lioness223

I had this exact same issue 5-6 years ago.  A mom complained that there was a 16-17 year old (i can't remember) teaching with a jr. high helper.  I told the mom that no adults had come forward to volunteer for that service.  And I would certainly take her help if she was offering it.

She was convicted and did teach for several years. 

PS   that teenager is still teaching today, and is now a 22 year old college student/preschool teacher.  And this year she started overseeing one of the services in addition to teaching one service. 

Danetto
Premium Member
Premium Member

Posted: 07 March 2007 at 6:41pm | IP Logged Quote Danetto

We have a special program set up for those not yet 18 to minister in our program.  It's called the MYT (Ministry Youth Training) Program.  We open it up to anyone interested, have them complete an application, have their Pastor complete an evaluation (indicating that they are an active participant in their own spiritual development and growing in their own faith) and then a class on how to work with kids (our expectations).  Anyone completing the class is given a special nametag and placed on a service rotation.  Because they will miss Big Church (and our Jr High and High School pastors think this is necessary for them to begin to eat solid food) we only allow them to serve for eight weeks a year.  After that they go back on the rotation.  We have found that this weeds out the kids trying to avoid God and encouraged others to get invovled so that they could serve.  No one is allowed to be in a class without someone who is 18 years old.  They have a special part to do (story, worship, craft, etc.) that they are able to communicate to the kids and are evaluated by their leaders.  It's been a great program for our teens.
Back to Top View Danetto's Profile Search for other posts by Danetto Visit Danetto's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

Terri
Premium Member
Premium Member

Posted: 28 December 2012 at 12:26am | IP Logged Quote Terri

So many different views. I assume, upon reading most of your posts (or reading into them), that many of you are from large churches. I have had experience with both. I grew up in a very large church. I started helping with the kids at about 14 years old. I worked in the nursery, and then w/preschool.

I progressed until I graduated. I went to college, became a full time teacher, and returned to work with my youth group and to teach preschoolers again. I did so until I married and was pregnant with my second child. This moved  me out of ministry and sadly, away from consistent fellowship.

Within in the last year, our church went through a large split. We went from 500+ on a Sunday to 70 or so. Our children's Ministry took a hit as well. We went from 50-60 to most weeks 15. This is split between 2-12 year olds. I have teenage daughters who have stepped up in many areas. They have cleaned the classrooms, scrubbed the chairs and toys. They write lesson plans that would shame some of you in its detail. They pick out curriculum I have okayed, get picture books to illustrate points, find and purchase crafts, are creative (no coloring papers for them), one on one with the kids, and far more serious than any adult working with the kids. They are consistent, concerned, and take this seriously. I'd love to talk to the family against using teens. I know from my own life and that of my kids, it makes a difference.

Back to Top View Terri's Profile Search for other posts by Terri Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

Nic4kids
Kidmin Pro Team Captain
Kidmin Pro Team Captain
Nicki Straza - CP Team Captain

Posted: 28 December 2012 at 7:46pm | IP Logged Quote Nic4kids

Like Nomi - I WAS that teen... in fact I was 10 when someone had the courage to let me be involved as a helper in the 2 & 3 class. As i grew older others saw leadership in me and gave me opportunities. Do I believe that teens should be involved in ministry? WITHOUT QUESTION - kids and teens in ministry become adults in ministry. PERIOD. That being said - should EVERY Teen be involved - NO.

This is my process:

1) I look for leadership aptitude and I nurture it (I use a pre-teen program called Kidlead that is fantastic for preparing your teens for good leadership and ministry. Check it out at Kidlead
2) I look for passion and initiative - if they don't want to help it will just create stress.
3) I create a process that young leaders must go through to participate. Graduated levels of learning earn graduated levels of responsibility in leadership. I use Kidlead for this - there are 4 modules. Level one is a Red Cross Babysitting course, then Kidlead.
4) I partner young leaders with mentoring adults and teach my adults how to create opportunities for their young apprentices.
5) I encourage my adults to discern and increase the level of responsibility of the young leaders.
6) I personally invest in their leadership.

Young leaders I have mentored and raised up myself or through my team of adult leaders have become some of my best leaders and the next generation of leaders for my kids min.

When parents see the process you are willing to invest into their kids and youth.. to raise them up, they will be the your best advocates for those parents of younger kids who don't get it yet.

If you want your kids to keep their feet on the ground, put a little weight on their shoulders - Abigail Van Buren

In a culture of delayed maturity - we run the risk of never allowing kids to grow up and function as young adults until they are 30. Youth have high levels of energy, creativity and passion that when steered and developed turns kids... into Kidologists :)

I would be happy to help you and resource you - let me know how I can help by sending me a PM.

In Addition - Karl's Kidology Handbook outlines a great strategy for involving kids and shows us why it's so important to ministry. Find it
Here

For his Kingdom,
Nicki

John 15:16 "You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you so that you might go and bear fruit"
Back to Top View Nic4kids's Profile Search for other posts by Nic4kids Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

Kidologist
Administrator
Administrator
Karl D. Bastian

Posted: 30 December 2012 at 10:58am | IP Logged Quote Kidologist

Whenever a parent complains about something - first find out what their concern is. Why are they complaining about teens teaching? If they are just complainers, you may just have to explain why you do it and graciously hold your ground. If their concerns are valid (lack of training, using service to skip service, or something else) you can often address the concern, or at times even adapt what you are doing in response to a valid concern you hadn't thought of. I never mind complaints - many have led to improvements in my ministry, but I also don't let them control me. Be approachable, teachable, adaptable, but confident in what you are doing.

As for whether teens should be teaching - absolutely, as several have stated here. I wouldn't be who I am today or have the skills and experience I have if I'd been prevented from serving as a teen because of some narrow minded church rule that kept teens from serving. I missed a lot of services and even teen Sunday School because my gifts, talents and Calling was recognized - and I was invested in.

In addition to the Kidology Handbook that Nicki mentions above, I go into a LOT MORE DETAIL in how to develop teen leaders in Part 6 of the Kids Church Cookbook. It is an entire eBook dedicated to the topic, with complete applications, job descriptions, and more.

I say, "No adult should do what a young person can do!"

Kidologist
Administrator
Administrator
Karl D. Bastian

Posted: 30 December 2012 at 11:08am | IP Logged Quote Kidologist

Terri wrote:
I have teenage daughters who have stepped up in many areas. They have cleaned the classrooms, scrubbed the chairs and toys. They write lesson plans that would shame some of you in its detail. They pick out curriculum I have okayed, get picture books to illustrate points, find and purchase crafts, are creative (no coloring papers for them), work one on one with the kids, and far more serious than any adult working with the kids. They are consistent, concerned, and take this seriously. I'd love to talk to the family against using teens. I know from my own life and that of my kids, it makes a difference.

Terri, I just want to ask you to pass on a hug and my thanks and congrats to your daughters. As one who has gone through a church split, and has seen the kids step up when the adults faltered, I'd proud of them. Tell them 1 Timothy 4:12 was written about young people like them! They are all the proof anyone needs that teens CAN and SHOULD be serving in ministry. I'm humbled by their service - and in your note, you show the key to success, your supervision and guidance "I have okayed" - you are watching, guiding, encouraging, cheering - and even here on Kidology championing them! The world needs more volunteers like your daughters and more moms like you!!

My hats off to you all. God sees and will reward your hard work, now and in eternity! (Galatians 6:9)

elyssame
Premium Member
Premium Member

Posted: 07 January 2013 at 11:36am | IP Logged Quote elyssame

I have read through everyone's post! I currently run a Children's Department from the Nursery through Children's Ministry. If only in the we only speak about the age group 4 through 11 I have 12 Student Leaders who assist the teachers each week in both morning services. These Student Leaders are being trained to step up and one day lead. From live praise and worship, to skits, to teaching a lesson, to fun time, I believe as does the our Senior Pastor that we should teach ourselves out of our position. Train others to carry on invest in others the gifts that God has given to us. If these teens come to you as the Leader and say God has placed a calling on their lives who better to invest in. Work with the Youth Pastor and mentor those teens then you are not only changing the lives of the children that come to you week after week but the children that those teens will touch later on in their life. Be one to the parents complaint offer to have them sit in, (in a non vocal form) to see how the class really works the after sit down and voice any concerns to you when the children are not present. Stand strong.
Back to Top View elyssame's Profile Search for other posts by elyssame Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

Glen Woods
Kidmin Pro
Kidmin Pro

Posted: 07 January 2013 at 7:12pm | IP Logged Quote Glen Woods

Appreciate all the comments!

Doing life in the margins with the unreached...
Break camp and advance....
Back to Top View Glen Woods's Profile Search for other posts by Glen Woods Visit Glen Woods's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

Glen Woods
Kidmin Pro
Kidmin Pro

Posted: 07 January 2013 at 7:12pm | IP Logged Quote Glen Woods

Well said, elyssame!

Doing life in the margins with the unreached...
Break camp and advance....
Back to Top View Glen Woods's Profile Search for other posts by Glen Woods Visit Glen Woods's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

praizedrumer10125
Premium Member
Premium Member

Posted: 18 January 2013 at 11:03am | IP Logged Quote praizedrumer10125

Ok, I am completely on board with using teenagers in kid ministry.  Unfortunately my Sr. Pastor is not and I am here to serve Him.  

His main concern is legal responsibility.  If something happens to one of our preschool or little ones, and a teen is involved, he feels the church is at risk.  

I ensure that there are two screened and qualified adults in the room before I would allow any youth to serve there.  

What do you all know about the responsiblity and risks?   I currently do use teens in my elementary kids service but that is it.  

MizNetter
Premium Member
Premium Member

Posted: 18 January 2013 at 12:08pm | IP Logged Quote MizNetter

praizedrumer10125 wrote:

Ok, I am completely on board with using teenagers in kid ministry.  Unfortunately my Sr. Pastor is not and I am here to serve Him.  

His main concern is legal responsibility.  If something happens to one of our preschool or little ones, and a teen is involved, he feels the church is at risk.  

I ensure that there are two screened and qualified adults in the room before I would allow any youth to serve there.  

What do you all know about the responsiblity and risks?   I currently do use teens in my elementary kids service but that is it.  

It is always important to make sure there is coverage with an adult when you use teens. I have always used teens who were responsible and had parents approval and youth pastors approval/recommendation. My youth used to work primarily in the nursery to start and then later in preschool areas with another adult. We had youth storytelling teams who were assigned to a class and taught the story having been trained in how to really tell a story to capture attention. It was a win win situation for everyone.

Like most others I started babysitting in junior high for a Saturday evening Mass earning .75 cents. It was my introduction to kidmin and childcare and 25+ years later it is the joy of my life. Training youth strengthens their spiritual formation, leadership and self confidence. If we prevent youth from influencing children spiritually, how do we expect them to influence their own children when parents?

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version