Login
You guys are so amazing. Our kids Ministry has tripled in nine months! We now have over 150 kids. We put this down to Gods Blessing and your amazing web site!
-Janine Daly
Background Checks Pop Up Good News Kidology Store Children's Ministry Magazine

Discussion Forums

Active Topics  |  Search  |  Help
Let's Talk Children's Ministry
 Kidology Forums : Let's Talk Children's Ministry
Subject Topic: Easter eggs and bunnies Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
mmcnall27
Premium Member
Premium Member

Posted: 30 March 2013 at 8:02am | IP Logged Quote mmcnall27

I need a simple lesson plan explaing the origin of Easter eggs and bunnies.
Back to Top View mmcnall27's Profile Search for other posts by mmcnall27 Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

franktan14123
Premium Member
Premium Member
Frank Tan

Posted: 30 March 2013 at 8:25am | IP Logged Quote franktan14123

I didn't know they had an origin story in the Bible, Michael. I guess I'll have to reread mine.

Just kidding.

Kidding aside, I don't have a lesson plan. This is usually dealt with more in a Q & A session for me.

But you can check out this book, Stories behind the Easter Traditions and Songs. The book is probably too late to order but you can get the ebook almost immediately. You can even check wikipedia articles on Easter Eggs and the Easter Bunny to get you started.

Kidologist
Administrator
Administrator
Karl D. Bastian

Posted: 30 March 2013 at 1:01pm | IP Logged Quote Kidologist

mmcnall27 wrote:
I need a simple lesson plan explaing the origin of Easter eggs and bunnies.

The simplest explanation, since the eggs and bunnies have nothing to do with our Christian celebration - is that they related to Spring Time when we are happy that winter is over and Spring represents that new life will be coming forth from eggs, and nothing seems to represent new life as cute as a bunny... but as Christians, we think nothing represents New Life better than JESUS - who proved he could not only bring new life, but he can even raise up the dead to new life!

I completely ignore the history of pagan celebrations with children, they are really irrelevant and confusing to kids anyway, and we are talking ancient history that has no bearing on today's culture anyway. That isn't why the eggs and bunnies are here today anyway, so its a bit of a straw man, so keep it simple, and quickly bring things back around to Jesus! (See Galatians 6:15, Paul didn't waste time on cultural debates, "what counts is the new creation.")

See: 2 Corinthians 5:17
Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come: The old has gone, the new is here!
Back to Top View Kidologist's Profile Search for other posts by Kidologist Visit Kidologist's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

Kidologist
Administrator
Administrator
Karl D. Bastian

Posted: 30 March 2013 at 1:49pm | IP Logged Quote Kidologist

Great question! It inspired a blog post!
Back to Top View Kidologist's Profile Search for other posts by Kidologist Visit Kidologist's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

franktan14123
Premium Member
Premium Member
Frank Tan

Posted: 30 March 2013 at 3:05pm | IP Logged Quote franktan14123

I agree with Karl that your focus should be on the message of the Gospel and not cultural practices.

But I would add though that, if asked, you should be ready to give an answer and maneuver the discussion back to the true hope that you have and the real reason behind that hope. (1 Peter 3:15)

Kidologist
Administrator
Administrator
Karl D. Bastian

Posted: 01 April 2013 at 10:59am | IP Logged Quote Kidologist

By the way, a commenter on my blog indicated (perhaps as a joke) that I meant not to use eggs or bunnies in your lesson - so just to clarify, I wanted to post my reply here as well, as I have no problem using eggs or bunnies at church.

"I didn’t say you couldn’t USE eggs and bunnies. I used a bunnie to greet the kiddos (I taught Kindergarten) and I gave all the kids an egg with “something special” inside! It was empty! And talked about how “empty” isn’t always bad! Since when the Mary’s went to the tomb and found it empty, it meant Jesus was ALIVE! I read the Matthew 28 passage, and then gave them all 3 pieces of candy and encouraged them to put the 3 pieces into their egg and keep this egg separate and eat only one a day for the next three days so they can feel how long Jesus’ friends had to wait to see their friend Jesus alive again. The point wasn’t to not use eggs and bunnies, but to not dwell on the secure history of why we have eggs and bunnies as a part of our Easter celebration. I mentioned only in passing that we often see eggs and bunnies at Easter because they represent “new life” – but JESUS is the one who can REALLY bring New Life, because He can raise us from the dead and give us Eternal Life in Heaven!"

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version