Login
I bought the tape of Karl's class ("Help, I’m in Charge of the Children's Minsitry") and we (John and I) have both listened to it twice and have given it to our senior pastor.  It will be a "classic" soon…..    Thanks for giving so much of yourself! WE APPRECIATE YOU!
- Shelly Sexton
Background Checks Pop Up Good News Kidology Champions Children's Ministry Magazine

Discussion Forums

Active Topics  |  Search  |  Help
Let's Talk Children's Ministry
 Kidology Forums : Let's Talk Children's Ministry
Subject Topic: Pre-Service Activities Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
rhkids
Premium Member
Premium Member

Posted: 24 January 2013 at 12:16am | IP Logged Quote rhkids

hey

so our church runs a service where the parents sign there kids in, and they are given a couple of activities to do before the service starts.

I am wondering if any of you have some other ideas of what our kids could do that is kind of low budget.

Right now we have beads for necklaces or bracelets, we have a colouring table, and we put a couple balls out for the kids to play in a small open area. (im worried about some safety hazards)

Do any of you have any ideas for us to do? I can spend a little money.

Thanks! OH! Im new here, my name is Andy. Ive been a Kids and Youth pastor for about 2 years now :)
Back to Top View rhkids's Profile Search for other posts by rhkids Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

hergie
Premium Member
Premium Member

Posted: 24 January 2013 at 12:48am | IP Logged Quote hergie

One thing that we have done with our kids (and they really seemed to enjoy) was take two pieces of posterboard and write "Holy" on one and "Bible" on the other. The kids "Jump Into The Bible" and tell their favorite Bible story. Then the next kids jumps in and tells their favorite.

We usually try to have an activity for early arrivers that goes along with the lesson. (We named animals going through the alphabet prior to a Noah's Ark lesson. We did a sink or float activity prior to a lesson about Jesus walking on the water.) We don't spend money on these activities (at least not more than a dollar or two like for the posterboard).

Of course, these activities take a person to oversee and lead them. They aren't really activities that the kids can just do on their own.
Back to Top View hergie's Profile Search for other posts by hergie Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

schagrl
Premium Member
Premium Member

Posted: 24 January 2013 at 7:21am | IP Logged Quote schagrl

I have that same time span on Wed. nights. We use the first 30 minutes to do things that are team oriented and encourage the kids to include new ones and switch up groups now and then.
The lego projects have been really good. The boys especially enjoy those.
We have a small size 4 square court that they love!
Colored pencils and large size posters kits are a hit with the girls and we can use them to decorate the room for a few weeks and then let someone take them home.
We have a table for kids to make cards for those sick. I have the names of the people printed out and posted on the wall.
Just a few for your consideration.
Back to Top View schagrl's Profile Search for other posts by schagrl Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

Wanda Parker
Basic Member
Basic Member

Posted: 24 January 2013 at 10:13am | IP Logged Quote Wanda Parker

Our kids come in sit on the floor with their Disciplers and talk. Disciplers are given questions that pertain to the lesson but are not spiritual and the kids probably never realize they are being opened to the concept of the day. Then they play simple circle games. Am amazed at how even the 6th graders get into the simple circle games.

Our purpose is always to be intentional about building relationships between the children and Disciplers. It also builds relationships amongst themselves as they get to know one another.

Here are a couple of samples
Gathering Questions

Gathering Games

Back to Top View Wanda Parker's Profile Search for other posts by Wanda Parker Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version