Login
Surveys

Do you do background checks at your church?

view more surveys
This site has drasticly changed the way I look at ministry.  I tell people that I am mentored by hundreds of children's pastors on a daily basis.
- Andrew VanDerLinden
Background Checks Kidology Champions Children's Ministry Magazine

Discussion Forums

Active Topics  |  Search  |  Help
Let's Talk Children's Ministry
 Kidology Forums : Let's Talk Children's Ministry
Subject Topic: Candle Leftovers Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Marian
Premium Member
Premium Member

Marian Crowley

Posted: 08 January 2013 at 1:19pm | IP Logged Quote Marian

Anybody have a creative idea for what to do with a large amount of slightly used white candles...They were only lit through three verses of Silent Night on Christmas Eve. Now the box is in my storage area and they need to be re-purposed.
Back to Top View Marian's Profile Search for other posts by Marian Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

KennyA
Premium Member
Premium Member

Posted: 08 January 2013 at 8:01pm | IP Logged Quote KennyA

You could use them to let the kids make their own candles.  Melt them down along with crayons for color and pour them into candle molds. (Be sure to use lubricant.) You will need to buy new wicks as you probably can't reuse the old ones effectively. You can get everything you need at a craft store (or possibly a super-Walmart).

Back to Top View KennyA's Profile Search for other posts by KennyA Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

MizNetter
Premium Member
Premium Member

Posted: 10 January 2013 at 2:34pm | IP Logged Quote MizNetter

That's what I was going to say. You can also make very LARGE crayons as well. Sort and break up any old crayons that you have in your rooms that are ratty looking and add them in with the candles to melt. You can pour them into round molds or even orange juice or milk containers and they will make for some fun coloring.

Another way to have fun making candles is to make "sand candles"

You need a milk carton (paper wax ones only), wicks and clean sand. You slice open the milk cartons (either horizontally or vertically depending on what size you want) and then pack it tightly with moist sand. The sand needs to be wet enough to stick firmly together but not too wet. have the kids hallow out a hold deep enough for the candle leaving about an inch of sand at the bottom of the carton. set your wick inthe base of the recess and then pour in the wax. When solid you can peel back the wax and shake off the sand (do this over a garbage can or something to catch the sand it is messy). Takes about a day or so to cure so this might be a great midweek project or overnighter experience.

Psalty
Basic Member
Basic Member

Posted: 15 January 2013 at 9:44pm | IP Logged Quote Psalty

You could use them to make "resist" pictures. "Color" with the candle over an area you do no want the color to change...then color or paint the rest of the picture, and the wax coated area stays "safely untouched." You could use that in a lesson for how God protects His children! OR you could "write" with the candles and then paint over them allowing the words to show up - for the "writing on the wall." I'm sure there are other lessons they could reinforce, but those are the ones that come to mind. Hope it helps.
Back to Top View Psalty's Profile Search for other posts by Psalty Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version