Login
Surveys

Do you do background checks at your church?

view more surveys
THANKS SO MUCH for your help! You are known by so many folks I've run into as "the hub" for Children's Ministry - that says a lot.
- Christopher Dreier
Background Checks Kidology Coaching Children's Ministry Magazine

Discussion Forums

Active Topics  |  Search  |  Help
Let's Talk Children's Ministry
 Kidology Forums : Let's Talk Children's Ministry
Subject Topic: Family Fun Night ideas? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
GinaG
Premium Member
Premium Member

Posted: 10 January 2013 at 3:36pm | IP Logged Quote GinaG

Hello everyone! Happy New Year!

I'm looking for some easy-to-implement ideas for quarterly Family Fun Night gatherings. We're a congregation of about 200 and have a lot of young families -- we're very heavy on Toddlers and Preschoolers. So any activities that we do need to be accessible for young kids.

Thanks for any help and ideas you could give!
Gina
Back to Top View GinaG's Profile Search for other posts by GinaG Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

Nic4kids
Kidmin Pro Team Captain
Kidmin Pro Team Captain
Nicki Straza - CP Team Captain

Posted: 12 January 2013 at 4:41pm | IP Logged Quote Nic4kids

I love that you are getting families together to share together - community is at the core of what we all want and need, but it takes intentionality, patience and long term committment to begin to see the fruit of it. I commend your efforts.

Some of my ideas:

1) Prayer and worship night feature kids songs and adults songs that kids and adults can do actions and dance to. Make it a celebration! Share a devotional about family   Followed by a time to pray together as families (You could even have them share communion together) End the night with Fathers speaking a blessing over their children and FOOD :)

2) Playdough-pictionary - Picturary game, but competitors must create their "picture" out of playdough... and food :)

3) At Christmas we do a Gingerbread Nativity - contests and competition to build a nativity scene out of candy and gingerbread etc.

4) I saw this cool idea on pinterest where people made lincoln logs out of pool noodles - a grand building contest with jumbo size building materials is fun (albeit potentially costly - though reuseable) I have never tested this one.

5) Game night dividing families into "tribes" where they paint their faces and dress up in various costume pieces in order to compete. End with food ;)

What are some family night activities you have tried that have worked???

Nicki

John 15:16 "You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you so that you might go and bear fruit"
Back to Top View Nic4kids's Profile Search for other posts by Nic4kids Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

Glen Woods
Kidmin Pro
Kidmin Pro

Posted: 12 January 2013 at 5:28pm | IP Logged Quote Glen Woods

1. Improv comedy night
2. Charades night
3. Talent show night
4. Bible character museum night (each family could set up an exhibit and act out the characters).
5. Water night
6. Family picnic at a local park
7. Family carnival (bounce houses, games, food, etc).

Doing life in the margins with the unreached...
Break camp and advance....
Back to Top View Glen Woods's Profile Search for other posts by Glen Woods Visit Glen Woods's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

PastorAbby
Basic Member
Basic Member

Posted: 14 January 2013 at 10:46am | IP Logged Quote PastorAbby

Hi, there! Most of the kids events we do at our church are specifically for the kids, but I've posted details on two of the events we've done so far on my blog (Links are posted below). You could certainly tweak them so they could work for the whole family, though. We'll be trying our first family night - with a Candy Land Theme - so you can check back on the blog sometime in February to see how it works out for us. Best of luck in planning!

Abby

Bananza Kids Night - http://whenoneteachestwolearn.wordpress.com/2012/11/17/bananza/

Back-to-School Sizzle - http://whenoneteachestwolearn.wordpress.com/2012/09/07/back-to-school-sizzle/
Back to Top View PastorAbby's Profile Search for other posts by PastorAbby Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

smile
Premium Member
Premium Member

Posted: 15 January 2013 at 9:18am | IP Logged Quote smile

VeggieTales movie night is always a hit with our preschoolers and their families. We plan 5-10 stations around the room that link with the theme of the movie, serve pizza and popcorn and then watch the movie. It takes about 2 hours but is loads of fun and is a non-threatening way for families to get together.
Back to Top View smile's Profile Search for other posts by smile Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

msdawn
Premium Member
Premium Member

Posted: 15 January 2013 at 6:30pm | IP Logged Quote msdawn

Years ago we did a potato night. We had stations around the buildng with all different kinds of games using potatoes. People were surprised by how many ways you can use potatoes in games. Potato cars, potato toss, potato roll. . . .

We have also done a cake decorating night. Each family brings in an unbaked cake and supplies to decorate it with. When all is said and done, sit down and enjoy the cakes and fellowship. Give out prizes for silly things like "best use of frosting" "most frosting used" "simplicity award" etc.

Last spring we rented a giant outdoor waterslide and set it up between our buildings. The kids loved it and the parents had a great time just hanging out, talking and enjoying the kids. Cost was around $200.

Back to Top View msdawn's Profile Search for other posts by msdawn Visit msdawn's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version