Login
Surveys

Does your family use social media?

view more surveys
Hey Karl and Friends, This podcast and additional posts may just be the place ten years from now I look back and say this is the place my ministry took a turn for the better.
- Philip Spitz
Background Checks Pop Up Good News Kidology Garage Sale Children's Ministry Magazine

Discussion Forums

Active Topics  |  Search  |  Help
Let's Talk Children's Ministry
 Kidology Forums : Let's Talk Children's Ministry
Subject Topic: Christmas Eve family service ideas? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
wbman
Kidmin Pro
Kidmin Pro
Tom Bump, Kidmin Pro, Yosemite Summiteer

Posted: 20 October 2009 at 10:56am | IP Logged Quote wbman

I am in search of something to do for this year's christmas eve service for families.
I have very minimal staff to help, it must be done in our worship center and be for the entire family. I'd like it to be fun and yet have those special quieter God moments to help families reflect on the awesomeness of the occasion.
I cannot go longer than 50 minutes which would include some singing of some carols too.

Any ideas?

Back to Top View wbman's Profile Search for other posts by wbman Visit wbman's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

firstkids8757
Premium Member
Premium Member

Posted: 20 October 2009 at 4:11pm | IP Logged Quote firstkids8757

Group has a great spontaneous interactive Christmas program. We have used it several times and it is loved every time. Check out group archives. You can make it as crazy or worshipful as you want.
Back to Top View firstkids8757's Profile Search for other posts by firstkids8757 Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

mytmo777
Premium Member
Premium Member

Posted: 20 October 2009 at 6:20pm | IP Logged Quote mytmo777

We always include a story time for the kids. We have them all gather up on the stage and sit down. We choose an adult who reads creatively and a colorful kids Christmas book (Max Lucado's are wonderful). Before that evening, we scan each page of the book and make a power point of each page, which is then projected onto the big screen. The kids can look at that and it keeps the adults engaged as well. Some of the kids, of course, will crowd around the adult who's reading and view the pictures. Afterwards you can even have a little discussion with the kids about the book (depending on how many kids you have). Always a hit with the parents to hear the kids' responses to questions you ask about the story! We then give them each a candy cane as they return to their seats.

This is part of a larger program that includes individuals sharing Christmas memories, songs by small groups, families, or individuals, reading of the Bible story (can also easily and spontaneously be acted out by kids if you grab some costumes ahead of time), and congregational carol singing.

Back to Top View mytmo777's Profile Search for other posts by mytmo777 Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

kakaofnewriver
Basic Member
Basic Member

Posted: 20 October 2009 at 6:47pm | IP Logged Quote kakaofnewriver

We have had a special family service where it there is a drop in time set aside.  Our Pastor and his wife have been at the church where we come as families to take communion and be prayed over by our Pastor and his wife.  It is a very personable time with them

We have also have had a short no more than 45 min where we come in, sing a carol, Pastor gives a short challenge or we have a small skit or just the reading of the Christmas story, sing a couple of more carols, usually one that involves lighting candles where everyone lights another persons candle

Back to Top View kakaofnewriver's Profile Search for other posts by kakaofnewriver Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

wbman
Kidmin Pro
Kidmin Pro

Posted: 21 October 2009 at 10:46am | IP Logged Quote wbman

Hey thanks for the ideas: I'm sure there are many more but you did get me thinking.
I want to create something memorable and special for the families who attend, but extra special for the kids and I know you all understand that. I want Christmas to really come alive for the kids.
so thanks, Keep the ideas coming!

Back to Top View wbman's Profile Search for other posts by wbman Visit wbman's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

Jeanniefoss
Premium Member
Premium Member

Posted: 21 October 2009 at 11:06am | IP Logged Quote Jeanniefoss

Not to be stupid, but I've spent some time on Groups site today and can't find anything.  Could you be more specific about where to find these interactive christmas programs?  Thanks
Back to Top View Jeanniefoss's Profile Search for other posts by Jeanniefoss Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

LakeCityPres
Premium Member
Premium Member

Posted: 26 October 2009 at 3:11pm | IP Logged Quote LakeCityPres

Because I've had so many requests for this I've edited from original posting:

I have a family friendly worship service we put together for 2008 involving telling the story of Jesus' Birth using Christmas hymns/carol with some call and response and interactive.

I'll testify that it is very user friendly and can be done with minimal staffing because it ended up being a really bad snow & ice year in Seattle where we almost cancelled Christmas Eve worship and we had 15 or so folks show up. I had no idea who was even going to be able to make it so I could barely assign parts and we just went with the flow. The Charlie Brown clip didn't happen due to technical difficulties but it all went along smoothly and it was a wonderfully intimate Christmas Eve service for children and adults alike!

Here is a Dropbox link to automatically download the Word document containing the service details. If you have trouble accessing it, please PM me with your email address and I can send it to you in a word document or other format.

~Leena @ Lake City Pres
Back to Top View LakeCityPres's Profile Search for other posts by LakeCityPres Visit LakeCityPres's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

nmd
Premium Member
Premium Member

Posted: 28 October 2009 at 10:22am | IP Logged Quote nmd

Our Christmas Eve format changes each year. The one thing that stays is the children's time.  They come to the front where an object lesson is presented and then as they return to their seat we give them an nativity type ornament.  (The youth always come up and want one at the end of the service.  They say it's a tradition)

We also give the kids a " Kids Activity Booklet" and a small box of crayons as they enter the Worship Center.  Booklet changes each year according to the message that year.

Back to Top View nmd's Profile Search for other posts by nmd Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

LakeCityPres
Premium Member
Premium Member

Posted: 29 October 2009 at 1:26am | IP Logged Quote LakeCityPres

Jeanniefoss,

I'm guessing the pp referring to Group Christmas programs was referring to one of these:

Instant Christmas Pageants

A Night in Bethlehem
Back to Top View LakeCityPres's Profile Search for other posts by LakeCityPres Visit LakeCityPres's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

LakeCityPres
Premium Member
Premium Member

Posted: 29 October 2009 at 1:27am | IP Logged Quote LakeCityPres

For those who have received a copy of my family Christmas Eve service... I'd love to get your feedback and even to see how you tweak if you do choose to go with that idea. :)

Jeff D. Robb
Premium Member
Premium Member

Posted: 30 October 2009 at 6:46am | IP Logged Quote Jeff D. Robb

Well I know this isn't a worship type, but in my Children's Church I am going to come out dressed like Uncle Sam, waving American flags and saying "Happy 4th of July."

The kids will tell me that I am celebrating the wrong holiday. And I will tie it in by saying most people celebrate the wrong things at Christmas time. ie presents, trees, fat guy with white beard named Santa.

That will lead into telling the Christmas Story.

firstkids8757
Premium Member
Premium Member

Posted: 30 October 2009 at 8:15am | IP Logged Quote firstkids8757

Goup's Instant Pageant was something I found several years ago, from the magazine. I can send it to whoever wants it if you just pm me your email address. I haven't checked the website for it recently so it may no longer be there.
Sorry for all the scuttlebutt, I did email to those who asked already.
It is a simple and fun program that can be intertwined with any type of program. We have used in a casual settings and in formal programs. Every time it is a hit. No one has ever noticed it was the same thing used several times in the last five years.
Back to Top View firstkids8757's Profile Search for other posts by firstkids8757 Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

jrader
Premium Member
Premium Member

Posted: 30 October 2009 at 10:39am | IP Logged Quote jrader

How long are the Instant Pageants? I don't have a large space of time for my Christmas kid's program, but really like Group's Instant Drama routines (we use Faithweaver Friends and the kids love the Instant Drama part of the lesson).

Back to Top View jrader's Profile Search for other posts by jrader Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

mytmo777
Premium Member
Premium Member

Posted: 30 October 2009 at 10:55am | IP Logged Quote mytmo777

I love the idea of celebrating the wrong holiday and then tying it into the Christmas story. I may have to steal that idea

Back to Top View mytmo777's Profile Search for other posts by mytmo777 Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

firstkids8757
Premium Member
Premium Member

Posted: 30 October 2009 at 11:39am | IP Logged Quote firstkids8757

The instant pageant that I have can be done in 15 or stretched out over 45 depending on how it is done.

wbman
Kidmin Pro
Kidmin Pro

Posted: 30 October 2009 at 12:37pm | IP Logged Quote wbman

oh wow, now my mind is really rolling. I love the ideas that you all are coming up with. Now I need to find some time to write! ugghh

Keep 'em coming!!!

Jeff D. Robb
Premium Member
Premium Member

Posted: 30 October 2009 at 2:23pm | IP Logged Quote Jeff D. Robb

I am also going to show a clip from The Nativity, the part where Mary and Joseph watch the other people's donkey trip and fall. I am going to put it in while I tell the story.

I like to remind them that he wasn't born in a clean hospital, he was born in a dirty stable/barn with animal droppings everywhere, he didn't have a new blue blanket to be wrapped up in they had to use swaddling clothes, and he didn't have a baby bed with the little mobile thing over his head, he was put into the animal's food trough.

It is amazing the King of Kings was born in that.

Jeff D. Robb
Premium Member
Premium Member

Posted: 30 October 2009 at 2:25pm | IP Logged Quote Jeff D. Robb

sorry I mean The Nativity Story

Tony Ruble
Premium Member
Premium Member

Posted: 03 November 2009 at 9:51am | IP Logged Quote Tony Ruble

Check out the reThink Group's "Jingle Jam." Awesome.
Back to Top View Tony Ruble's Profile Search for other posts by Tony Ruble Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version