Login
Kidology has been one of my main children's ministry resources as a children's pastor for the last 14 years.
- James Buchanan
Protect My Ministry Background Checks Kidology Online Training ToyBox Tales Kidology on Twitter

Discussion Forums

Active Topics  |  Search  |  Help
Let's Talk Children's Ministry
 Kidology Forums : Let's Talk Children's Ministry
Subject Topic: How much do YOU love kids?? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Kidologist
Administrator
Administrator
Karl D. Bastian

Posted: 29 June 2004 at 11:03pm | IP Logged Quote Kidologist

OK, this was it - the ultimate test of my love of children! Here I am at camp, as the beloved speaker, the 'cool guy' who says he loves kids and would do anything to reach them - and my love of children, and willingness to 'be all things so that they might be reached' was put to the ultimate test! I ask you - WHAT WOULD YOU HAVE DONE?

The Ingredients...

The Chef...

The Chef at work, mixing a secret formula...

Then I was presented with the drink... to drink or not to drink?
THAT WAS THE QUESTION!

I chose to drink....

YUM!

YUM! YUM! .....YUM?

Well, in the end, it LOOKED worse than it tasted, and I think I passed the test! Hopefully, someday, the Lord will say to me, as the knight did to Indiana Jones,
"You have chosen............. wisely."

Those of you who are regulars on this site know my passion for 'being a kid' and living in the world of kids, and sometimes that may mean drinking a strange concoction mixed up by silly campers.

What weird, gross, or crazy thing have you done to show love to kids? I know there has GOT to be some awesome stories out there! Or just simple ones that show kids are worth doing anything to reach!
Back to Top View Kidologist's Profile Search for other posts by Kidologist Visit Kidologist's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

JediKindergartner
Administrator
Administrator
Moderator of the Coffee

Posted: 30 June 2004 at 2:27am | IP Logged Quote JediKindergartner

Mmm, yummy, Karl! Looks like a tasty treat, there.

I think I'm gonna take a pass on revealing any very incriminating stories at this point (come on, it's way past my bedtime! ), but I've eaten my fair share of unidentifiable foodthings stuffed into my hand by four-year-olds, to say the least. (Oh, you know what's so much fun? Drink-offs, between you and a kid, with those little sealed cups of flavored coffee creamer -- dang, that stuff is sweet! )

One time I made a whole suit of armor out of cardboard, scotch tape, and aluminumnum foil. That was just time-consuming though, nothing very weird or bizarre. Certainly not as bizarre as some of the other costumes I've worn.

Me, as the Knight of Ni!

I have dressed up in a skirt before, too, on one or two occasions -- and yes, definitely for the Point too, not solely for the fun of it. (Oh darn, I think I might've lost all the pictures from that though. )

Okay, somebody else's turn now. I don't want to incriminate myself further, at least until I hear more of Karl's great stories.

sgphillips
Premium Member
Premium Member
Scott Phillips

Posted: 30 June 2004 at 7:29am | IP Logged Quote sgphillips

My my crazy thing this year for the kids is to help them raise money for their Royal Ranger & Missionette program for next year.  I got one of those five gallon plastic water bottles.  I have passed out flyers and made announcements that if they can fill the bottle up half way with change I will shave off my beard & moustache.  If they can fill it up 3/4 of the way they can cut off my pony tail.  And if they fill it up I will let THEM shave me bald on our opening night.  They have 10 weeks to do this before we have our opening night.  I am hoping to raise enough money to pay for registration and uniforms for those in the community that can't afford it.  I have heard word that the senior Pastor is determined to make sure that bottle is full.

Scott

Back to Top View sgphillips's Profile Search for other posts by sgphillips Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

Kidologist
Administrator
Administrator
Karl D. Bastian

Posted: 30 June 2004 at 11:37am | IP Logged Quote Kidologist

sgphillips wrote:
And if they fill it up I will let THEM shave me bald on our opening night. 

THIS will will have to get pictures of - BEFORE and AFTER!!!

Way to go!!
Back to Top View Kidologist's Profile Search for other posts by Kidologist Visit Kidologist's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

GlenwoodMom
Premium Member
Premium Member

Posted: 30 June 2004 at 4:51pm | IP Logged Quote GlenwoodMom

I at least had some help for this one...

Our church was raising money to send pairs of chickens to some of our churches in Sierra Leone.  So, I came up with the brainy idea that the (all girl!) high school small group I was leading would sell eggs to members of the congregation.  For $2, we  would crack the eggs on our heads.  For $5, THEY could crack the eggs on our heads.

Somehow I managed to be away on the actual Sunday of the event (counselling at church camp!  I promise!)...  However, by the end of my first Sunday back, I was covered in raw egg.  (And I'll let you figure out what raw egg does in the hot sun! )

James Buchanan
Premium Member
Premium Member

Posted: 22 July 2004 at 3:46pm | IP Logged Quote James Buchanan

I just had one of those moments last week at VBS.  We used Saddlebacks' "What's Bugging You" for our VBS theme.  We had a points contest between the guys and the girls.  I had the boys and our youth pastor had the girls.  We totalled points for each day - bible, friends, memory verses etc.  At the end of the day, points were revealed and the "loosing" Pastor got a "bug".  On Friday, the last thing we did was to eat the amount of bugs that we accumalated.  I had to eat 1 (go boys!) and our YP had to eat 3 for going with the girs.

We bought crickets and put 3 crickets each in an ice cube tray and poured white chocalte in them.  The way we made them, you could see the bugs in the bottom of the "ice cube"

Kids and parents are still talking about us eating bugs and 4th-6th grade boys now think that we are "cool" to listen to us.

The coolest thing is that while they were trying to get points so that we would eat bugs, we had 145 kids memorize on average 3-4 verses, bring their bibles, bring friends and were excited about coming to church in 108 degree weather.

Pastor James, Phoneix, AZ

Back to Top View James Buchanan's Profile Search for other posts by James Buchanan Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

James Buchanan
Premium Member
Premium Member

Posted: 22 July 2004 at 3:49pm | IP Logged Quote James Buchanan

I almost forgot....the end result was that 30 kids accecpted Christ as their Savior last week.....Yeah God!!!!!!!

Pastor James,  Phoenix, AZ

Back to Top View James Buchanan's Profile Search for other posts by James Buchanan Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

henryjz
Premium Member
Premium Member
CP = Canadian Pastor

Posted: 22 July 2004 at 6:01pm | IP Logged Quote henryjz

Praise God James! Isn't it awesome what God does in the lives of children even in the midst of our hair-brained ideas.

I've done so many things to myself or allowed kids to do things to me in the name of ministry, I've lost count. I've swallowed a goldfish, had my hair bleached then dyed red (it took 8 months for all the bleached part to grow out!), been doused with 17 64-oz bottles of ketchup, bombarded with 300 water balloons... the list goes on and on and on. Oh yeah, one time a kid had won the privilege of shaving half my head bald in front of the entire congregation! Darn no pics of that one...the film ran out....honest!!

There's got to be a HUGE crown for all of us CPs up there. With our luck, though, we'll have to be doused with chocolate syrup and whipped cream before being allowed to wear it! (Don't ask!)
Back to Top View henryjz's Profile Search for other posts by henryjz Visit henryjz's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

franktan14123
Premium Member
Premium Member
Frank Tan, Kidology Content Coordinator

Posted: 28 September 2004 at 1:55pm | IP Logged Quote franktan14123

For years the church ran an Awana program that only included the basics--Game Time. Council Time, and Handbook Time. When I came here, I decided we needed excitement for the kids and make Awana the fun time for kids (my philosophy: gotta get 'em in first in order to reach 'em).

That meant Theme Nights in Awana. So far, I am the only adult who has wholeheartedly supported Theme Nights: I wore pajamas to church, had a clown nose all night, had kids dye and fix my hair, sang "Que Sera Sera" all night, etc.

For Wet n' Wild night though, I was able to persuade my adult and youth volunteers to be targets for water balloons. But I was still the main target, it seemed.  One really good shot at my profile even knocked my eyeglasses off.

Back to Top View franktan14123's Profile Search for other posts by franktan14123 Visit franktan14123's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

mmartin
Kidology Staff
Kidology Staff
Marty Martin

Posted: 29 September 2004 at 10:01am | IP Logged Quote mmartin

Slime time - we had a special incentive Sunday - the child who brought the msot friends got to go up in a large elecrtical truck and slime me. Oh nice!

another shot:

Even teeth got slimed!

Being a children's pastor is the greatest job ever!

Back to Top View mmartin's Profile Search for other posts by mmartin Visit mmartin's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

kdzpasr
Premium Member
Premium Member

Posted: 20 January 2005 at 8:02pm | IP Logged Quote kdzpasr

You all ain't got nothing on me. It has been several years since I did this and the kids (and adults) are still talking about it even today!!

I get real disgusting when it comes to meal times at our annual summer camp. I have been know to do some pretty gross things with my food (and other's). As we were eating spaghetti, green beans, salad, breadsticks and cherry surprise one night, many children were watching my antics and were getting really keyed up. One girl decided she was going to try and gross me out. So...she took a small bite of each of the items on her plate and began to salivate a mixed buffet of food inside her mouth. As she processed all the food items into a liquid consistency she opened her mouth to show me before swallowing. She then asked me to "top that." I asked her to do it once more and show it to me. When she did it the second time and opened her mouth to show me the mushed up food, I took a spoon over to her and scooped up the mixture in her mouth and then ate it myself.

It was truly a high moment for me. I gained the crown that night as the grossest ever. I've been Children's Pastor for nine years and that story has passed through the ranks for many great years. As I think about it now I think, "how could I have ever done that?" I'm a big kid at heart and I love kids so much. They bring out the BEST in me!!!!

Top that folks!!

Back to Top View kdzpasr's Profile Search for other posts by kdzpasr Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

Kidologist
Administrator
Administrator
Karl D. Bastian

Posted: 20 January 2005 at 9:50pm | IP Logged Quote Kidologist

kdzpasr wrote:
You all ain't got nothing on me..... It was truly a high moment for me. I gained the crown that night as the grossest ever.

kdzpaasr - reminds me of a missions class final examine in Bible college - the teacher showed a jar of black beetles and made the following offer t the students, "Any student who has a low grade and would like extra credit can come up and eat one of these live beetles in front of the class just as you would on the mission field to reach a lost soul for Christ. You can possible get an "A" in the class just by eating a bug!"

One fellow student of mine, a guy with a "C" currently in the course took up the challenge, and ate one of those big black beetles live right up in front of the class!! We were grossed out and laughing at the look on his face as he chomped away and we could hear it crunching in his mouth! After he was all done and did his last swallow - he turned to the teacher and said, "Well, do I get an A?" The teacher responded, "Congratulations, you get a B in the course." The guy was obviously frustrated at only getting a B for doing such a gross thing that no one else would do, so he asked why he only got a B for it when the teacher said you could get an A. The instructor replied, "i said you could get an A if you ate one of these bugs AS YOU WOULD ON THE MISSION FIELD - on the mission field, not only would you not make faces, but you would ask for seconds!"

That always stuck with me - especially when I've been on the mission field and ate some nasty stuff (like sucking fried snails right out of their shells!) - sooooo kdzpasr I ask you....

would you ask for seconds?? Would you do it AGAIN!???

kdzpasr
Premium Member
Premium Member

Posted: 21 January 2005 at 9:40am | IP Logged Quote kdzpasr

kidologist - would I do it AGAIN!??? The atmosphere would have to be there but I can definitely say that there's always potential!! Just a couple of years ago at the same camp the kids (who were not there to witness that event, but had only heard about it through camp stories) asked me to try and top that stunt. The best I could do at the moment was to find the sweaty bald head of our Camp "Doc" and transfer my plate of spaghetti to the top of his head and "mouth it off" without utensils. Verdict from the kids...pretty gross, but it didn't top it!

What a blessing that year was. Out of 90 campers there were 36 decisions for Christ, 19 being for salvation. When we returned 15 were baptized at our Camp Service. Did that happen because of the spaghetti stories? For sure, NOT...but it does help when children can see you as a friend first and someone that desires to have fun with them!!

Back to Top View kdzpasr's Profile Search for other posts by kdzpasr Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

Kidologist
Administrator
Administrator
Karl D. Bastian

Posted: 21 January 2005 at 9:48am | IP Logged Quote Kidologist

I, the official Kidologist, by the power invested in me by, er, (ok, never mind that part) do hereby declare one Kevin Corey as The Grossest Children's Pastor in the world. If he were here I would place upon his head a crown of egg slime and place within his hand a staff made from a cow's tongue. May he rule his ministry with grossness forever!

Reed
Premium Member
Premium Member

Posted: 21 January 2005 at 11:09am | IP Logged Quote Reed

I've been a Sunday (Above), A Taco (Hot sauce burns the skin!), 10 Doz eggs over the head.  Hair every color, I dressed as a clown for a week - went to Mc D's with my kids and a kid that wasn't mine gave me a dollar! - Did a clown time with illusions at a school too! 

Back to Top View Reed's Profile Search for other posts by Reed Visit Reed's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

Kidologist
Administrator
Administrator
Karl D. Bastian

Posted: 21 January 2005 at 11:19am | IP Logged Quote Kidologist

Uh, oh, looks like kdzpasr's throne is being challenged by Reed, but... maybe second in the Gross Kingdom will satisfy?

pkdavis15176
Premium Member
Premium Member

Posted: 24 January 2005 at 3:16pm | IP Logged Quote pkdavis15176

I have rolled in chocolate, I have eaten a pie of hamburger,jello,green beans, cheese, whipcream, cookies, gummies, candy, oreo casserole. I have been doused with MD, eggs, whip cream, and made into a chocolate sundae cherry included.  I have sucked a pitcher full of koolaid thru a plastic tube(Kidology koolaid IV race).  I was made up like a women full make- up included.   I will be stupid for Jesus any time.
Back to Top View pkdavis15176's Profile Search for other posts by pkdavis15176 Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

pmike9121
Basic Member
Basic Member

Posted: 25 January 2005 at 10:59am | IP Logged Quote pmike9121

I too have done numerous things in the quest to motivate and relate to kids. The scary part is that I would do most of them even if I wasn't a kid's pastor.  Probably the same reason that I buy toys and blame it on research for children's ministry. ha ha

Anyways, I once ate an apple that had been roasting on a dashboard for a week at summer camp. It raised $50 for missions in about 30 seconds. I've never seen kids give up money so fast. It tasted like sour apple pie. I've been whipped cream pied so many times i can't count.

My grossest was at summer camp one year. We had a race between four counselors. I had to eat a jar of baby food, a tin of sardines, a jar of pickled pig's feet and a dog biscuit. I don't think i have ever tasted anything as as the pig's feet and the dog biscuit was stuck in my teeth for two days no matter how much brushing.

I LOVE CHILDREN'S MINISTRY!!!!!

KristyDie
Premium Member
Premium Member

Posted: 22 February 2005 at 12:06am | IP Logged Quote KristyDie

O.k. Guys and Gals,

Have you ever encountered a parent who feels this kind of thing is teaching "disrespect"? That we are allowing the children to be disrespectful to us?

If so,  how did you respond?

Back to Top View KristyDie's Profile Search for other posts by KristyDie Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

Bellebellecs
Premium Member
Premium Member

Posted: 18 March 2005 at 12:23pm | IP Logged Quote Bellebellecs

How do people deal with bad reactions to your child-friendly behavior?

Back to Top View Bellebellecs's Profile Search for other posts by Bellebellecs Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

Kidologist
Administrator
Administrator
Karl D. Bastian

Posted: 23 March 2005 at 12:30pm | IP Logged Quote Kidologist

No, I've not had that happen. (though I don't do the super gross stuff) My parents like that their kids love their pastor so much, and they view my silly stunts as things that endear them to me. Though I've never been slimmed, I've been in a dunk tank, and covered in shaving creme. :) It's all in how its done, I guess, the kids need to be controled and it needs to stop when the adult says, 'ok, that's enough.' If a parent complained, I'd just LISTEN and then explain my motive, but some parents you just have to agree to disagree with.

Bellebellecs
Premium Member
Premium Member

Posted: 23 March 2005 at 2:51pm | IP Logged Quote Bellebellecs

I love kids so much! I love their honestly and open hearts and minds! I'm a big kid fan and cherish any time I get to be with them in Sunday School, Preteen Club, and camp.

The down side with my job is that I don't get to really interact with the kids that much. I'm more the administrator, which to be honest I'm not the biggest fan of. I love the volunteers and I love to see them with the kids, but I yearn to interact with the kids as well.

Back to Top View Bellebellecs's Profile Search for other posts by Bellebellecs Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

thesecretllama
Basic Member
Basic Member

Posted: 09 May 2005 at 5:15pm | IP Logged Quote thesecretllama

We had a bad candy club in my old church.  I would search the city high and low for the worst candy in the world (literally candy from all over the world).  This stuff was disgusting.  There was something called salted plums and when I read the sodium content, I nearly passed out. There was something like 9000 mg of sodium.  Then, there were the seaweed wrapped sesame candies that tasted like rotten fish.  (Ooh, I think I just threw up in my mouth a little!)  We did this for two years, but the kids loved it.  We would all taste the candy together and then rank it 1 to 10.  It was very cool.  One time we even spent 45 minutes (of a 3 hour program) to find out just how long it takes to get to the Tootsie Roll center of a Tootsie Roll Pop.  Ahhh, good times!

Evan Abla

Back to Top View thesecretllama's Profile Search for other posts by thesecretllama Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

henryjz
Premium Member
Premium Member
CP = Canadian Pastor

Posted: 19 May 2005 at 6:21pm | IP Logged Quote henryjz

I mentioned being doused with ketchup. Karl saw the pic in my office and said I should post it, so here it is.

Back to Top View henryjz's Profile Search for other posts by henryjz Visit henryjz's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

NataliaM
Premium Member
Premium Member

Posted: 20 May 2005 at 8:01pm | IP Logged Quote NataliaM

This is me dressed as a pharaon in the VBS last Summer in Argentina!!!

Kidologist
Administrator
Administrator
Karl D. Bastian

Posted: 30 January 2006 at 2:08pm | IP Logged Quote Kidologist

Well, I finally did it, I got pied in the face by my kids! It was a lot of fun. Read all about it on my blog. Read it here

What gross thing have you done lately for kids?

KristyDie
Premium Member
Premium Member

Posted: 30 January 2006 at 3:23pm | IP Logged Quote KristyDie

How do we know this is REALLY you, Karl?
Can't see your face!!

KARL ADDS: You'll have to visit my blog for the proof.
Back to Top View KristyDie's Profile Search for other posts by KristyDie Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

KristyDie
Premium Member
Premium Member

Posted: 30 January 2006 at 4:39pm | IP Logged Quote KristyDie

Okay, okay..so it WAS really you.
Sorry I doubted you, brother!

I now pronounce you the "Pie King"!

Mushu
Premium Member
Premium Member

Posted: 18 June 2006 at 11:37pm | IP Logged Quote Mushu

I drank a pizza one time...I've never eaten out of someone's mouth, but I have done the skit where two people spit into a cup (brushing their teeth) and then I am the third person and brush my teeth, the drink the glass. I'm not sure what point it has, but it sure is fun...We had "Ketchup Night" at our church, (That was fun, too.)
Back to Top View Mushu's Profile Search for other posts by Mushu Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

PastorEric
Premium Member
Premium Member
Teknologist

Posted: 19 June 2006 at 9:14am | IP Logged Quote PastorEric

I got slimed - that wasn't so bad. It was my relationship to my senior pastor that was put in jeopardy...

We told the kids that for every $100 they brought in for our mission project (Buying water purifcation machines for another country) I, their loving CP, would get a bucket of sludge (mostly oatmeal and food coloring) dumped over my head. It was VBS, and by Thursday night we had about $850. Without consulting him first, I told the kids that if we raised $1000, our senior pastor would get slimed to. The look on his face when I said this was worth it. In the end, I had 10 buckets of "sludge" dumped over my head and our SP got about about 25-30 gallons of leftover sludge dumped on his head. He's a really good sport.

Back to Top View PastorEric's Profile Search for other posts by PastorEric Visit PastorEric's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version