Login
Surveys

Do you do background checks at your church?

view more surveys
Just a quick note to let you know how much the folks love your "Flatman and Bobbin" puppet shows. They're great!
-Steve
Background Checks Kidology Garage Sale Children's Ministry Magazine

Discussion Forums

Active Topics  |  Search  |  Help
Let's Talk Children's Ministry
 Kidology Forums : Let's Talk Children's Ministry
Subject Topic: Cleaning nursery toys - portable church? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
rogden99
Premium Member
Premium Member

Posted: 17 January 2008 at 11:36am | IP Logged Quote rogden99

Hi there,

We are a portable church and I am looking for a better way to keep our nursery toys clean!

Right now we use Clorox wipes on all toys that are used each week .. then they go into storage.

I worry this might not be zapping all the germs. 

What's the best way for a portable church nursery to keep those toys clean and germ free?  I would love to dunk in bleach solution, but worry that the toys will go into the storage boxes wet and be nasty the next week!

Thanks,

Rachel

Back to Top View rogden99's Profile Search for other posts by rogden99 Visit rogden99's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

Susie
Basic Member
Basic Member

Posted: 17 January 2008 at 11:43am | IP Logged Quote Susie

Great question

We are a portable church too.  We wipe the toys like you do then once a month I put them all in the washer with bleech and wash them.  I let them dry before I box them up again

S

Back to Top View Susie's Profile Search for other posts by Susie Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

Reed
Premium Member
Premium Member

Posted: 17 January 2008 at 11:54am | IP Logged Quote Reed

We use this to sanitize small toys

http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=487759&cmSource=Search

Germ Guardian Nursery Sanitizer

Back to Top View Reed's Profile Search for other posts by Reed Visit Reed's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

rogden99
Premium Member
Premium Member

Posted: 17 January 2008 at 11:54am | IP Logged Quote rogden99

So maybe I can continue as is and add a monthly deep clean?

ooooh I like that santitizer - do you store that with your other stuff each week?  Or does someone take it home?  How about large toys?

Thanks again!

Back to Top View rogden99's Profile Search for other posts by rogden99 Visit rogden99's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

mpayne
Premium Member
Premium Member

Posted: 17 January 2008 at 1:15pm | IP Logged Quote mpayne

How do you sanitize the sanitizer????

Hmmmmm......

sk8boarder15
Premium Member
Premium Member

Posted: 17 January 2008 at 4:14pm | IP Logged Quote sk8boarder15

We did the same as you with the clorox wipes each week when we were portable. One a month I would take two big bins home and deep clean the toys and the bins. The bins tended to get nasty by the end of the month!

HopesKidChick
Basic Member
Basic Member

Posted: 18 January 2008 at 7:20am | IP Logged Quote HopesKidChick

We do clorox wipes too!  Reading the posts reminds me it is time to bring ours home for a deep clean.

Love the sanitizer!  I am also untested to know if you keep it in your bins or if it lives at someones house.

Back to Top View HopesKidChick's Profile Search for other posts by HopesKidChick Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

rogden99
Premium Member
Premium Member

Posted: 18 January 2008 at 8:22am | IP Logged Quote rogden99

Thanks guys!

Anyone ever use spray stuff?   Microcide TB or similar?  Someone recommended that recently but I just don't know how that would work in the portable boxes!  Seems like it would get nasty after awhile ...

Hmmmm

JennMcAfee
Premium Member
Premium Member

Posted: 18 January 2008 at 7:33pm | IP Logged Quote JennMcAfee

You could always add a step and dry them off before they go in the box. I don't think that contaminates the toys, but I could definitely be wrong.

ktdeepwater
Basic Member
Basic Member

Posted: 14 November 2009 at 3:14pm | IP Logged Quote ktdeepwater

Hi,

I'm just wondering if anyone knows of any nontoxic, bleach-free ways to sanitize toys? I'm not really excited about the idea of kids being in contact with those strong chemicals, and would like to find a natural solution? Any one else use nontoxic cleaners?
Back to Top View ktdeepwater's Profile Search for other posts by ktdeepwater Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

Sarah P
Premium Member
Premium Member

Posted: 14 November 2009 at 5:43pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah P

We use Clorox Green Works Natural Cleaning Wipes & Clorox Green Works All-Purpose Cleaner
They do the job

Sarah
Back to Top View Sarah P's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah P Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

wendymn
Premium Member
Premium Member

Posted: 16 November 2009 at 12:37pm | IP Logged Quote wendymn

We use Shaklee Basic G or Amway Pursue Disinfectant Cleaner. They are both spray on disinfectant's that do not need to be wiped off after you spray the toys.

I also like the sanitizer for small baby toys. I need to look into that.
Back to Top View wendymn's Profile Search for other posts by wendymn Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

MomO3Boys
Basic Member
Basic Member

Posted: 11 January 2010 at 2:02pm | IP Logged Quote MomO3Boys

We use Re-Juv-Nal spray.  We just spray the toys after service and put them away into tubs or on shelves.  You have to leave the spray on for at least 10 minutes for it to kill all the germs.  But we have been doing this for sometime now.  I have not had any problems with spraying them and leaving it on them. 

We also have a small dishwasher in our preschool area so we send some of the infant toys through it to sanitize also.

Back to Top View MomO3Boys's Profile Search for other posts by MomO3Boys Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

TheLeslie602
Basic Member
Basic Member

Posted: 13 May 2012 at 5:38pm | IP Logged Quote TheLeslie602

You can steam toys with a steamer. Usually you can find these on Craigslist for next to nothing. If you feel that you would like something stronger than water put a few drops of tea tree oil or lavendar oil into the steam cleaner. Makes it smell nice.

Here is a link for those in doubt of steaming toys.

http://www.achooallergy.com/steam-cleaning-101.asp

It's easy and quick and fast especially when you are wanting to get home after a long day in the nursery.
Back to Top View TheLeslie602's Profile Search for other posts by TheLeslie602 Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

artist4mygod
Premium Member
Premium Member

Posted: 14 May 2012 at 9:23am | IP Logged Quote artist4mygod

We aren't portable, but we spray toys with a mixture of 1/2 water and 1/2 listerine. Works great and dries quickly!
Back to Top View artist4mygod's Profile Search for other posts by artist4mygod Visit artist4mygod's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version