Login
Surveys

Does your family use social media?

view more surveys
Kidology has been such a blessing to me. The ideas, being able to bounce problems off listening ears, it has been a rich source of information. Thank you.
- Susie Daggett
Background Checks Pop Up Good News Kidology Champions Children's Ministry Magazine

Discussion Forums

Active Topics  |  Search  |  Help
Let's Talk Children's Ministry
 Kidology Forums : Let's Talk Children's Ministry
Subject Topic: Pastor Appreciation - what can you do? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
jamie496
Kidmin Pro
Kidmin Pro

Posted: 10 October 2007 at 11:24am | IP Logged Quote jamie496

It's pastor appreciation month.... and while I know that many of us would love to be appreciated for our work during this month - let's look at the "give and it sahll be given to you" model.  What can we do as individuals for our pastors and how can we involve the kids in appreciating the pastor?

Surge-Matt
Premium Member
Premium Member
Matthew McDaniels

Posted: 10 October 2007 at 11:58am | IP Logged Quote Surge-Matt

There is always the classic "create pastor a thank you card" craft night.

If he doesn't have enough macaroni necklaces, bracelets, headbands, ankle bracelets, rings, toe rings...

Actually, this year I was thinking about doing something funny and getting some pictures of him and gluing him to an operation board that we'll keep out during game time in the CM. I think the kids would absolutely love it and he'd have some fun with it.

jimsz
Premium Member
Premium Member

Posted: 11 October 2007 at 12:03pm | IP Logged Quote jimsz

This will sound like a terrible thing but give it some thought before anyone blasts me!

My group and leaders do nothing for Pastor appreciation month nor do I support a Pastor appreciation month.

Any congregation should be supporting their staff through prayer regularly, that's biblical.

Any board/deacon/LBA should be watching that their Pastors are working as best they can but also not to the extent where their relationship with God, family and church are suffering. It's a fine balance but one a Pastor needs.

Any church should be supporting their Pastors to the best that their finances and situation allow. For some that will be 100+k a year, for others 5k a year. I know both.

I've seen some Pastors treated like refuse 11 months a year and for one month they are "appreciated". I have seen other Pastors milk their church of money and benefits while performing fewer and fewer Pastoral duties.

Most Pastors receive a paycheck for performing the ministry that many of their volunteers perform for free after their paying job. While a Pastor is the spiritual leader of the church, he is not alone nor do they bear the full burden of ministry taking place. The idea of a struggling and underpaid/overworked minister is still conjured up and talked about but it is not a common place reality for many congregations.

I'd prefer the church to drop Pastor Appreciation Month and if they feel the need to install a Ministry Appreciation Month to recognize all those that perform ministry.

Being a Pastor is a calling but no more of a calling as the person who teaches SS, sweeps the floor or may be working in a kitchen for dinners welcoming new families to the church.
Back to Top View jimsz's Profile Search for other posts by jimsz Visit jimsz's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

CMdir
Basic Member
Basic Member

Posted: 12 October 2007 at 10:42pm | IP Logged Quote CMdir

I don't really agree with the previous post. Our pastor works his tail off for almost nothing (as far as money is concerned).  Our congregation loves a time set aside to honor him and his wife. He is our spiritual leader.

To the point - some churches have a different family/group of families prepare a meal for the pastor. Some take it to his home, others invite him (and family) over. Others provide gift cards to restaurants.

I think I posted this elsewhere, but the most moving thing I have seen is when the children put together a basket of items. They presented it to the pastor during service. Each item (in this case each class provided an item) had a scripture (quoted by a child) to go with it. For example, a pair of slippers (Blessed are the feet...), etc.

One church gave their pastor a robe, slippers, CD of relaxing music, book, snack/candy items, and a gift certificate to a retreat center in the mountains.

Last year our church asked each family to give the pastor a card and provided time for those who wanted to publicly express their appreciation. Not a dry eye in the house! Especially when an 8 year old girl got up and said "you are the best pastor ever and I have learned so much from you."

Back to Top View CMdir's Profile Search for other posts by CMdir Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

Chewy
Basic Member
Basic Member

Posted: 13 October 2007 at 9:19pm | IP Logged Quote Chewy

I hear what Jimsz is saying.  I am not sure I totally agree.  It depends on the attitude.  I have seen some pastors who are almost like I have to remind them because they owe me.  They don't quite say it but that is there unspoken attitude. 

That being said, that is the minority.  Many pastors do get ran over and treated like junk.  They and their family deserve to be spoiled.  If the gift is monetary, no one ever hurt for a little extra.  The one thing the church did for us last yr, the board encouraged the people to give "blessings" which came in the form of whatever they desired.  We had 1 family give us an overnight at a hotel, another a free night of childcare, another gift certificates...however, for each one, it was whatever they found in their heart to do for us

Back to Top View Chewy's Profile Search for other posts by Chewy Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

jlg
Premium Member
Premium Member

Posted: 14 October 2007 at 1:27pm | IP Logged Quote jlg

I think that saying "thank-you" is always a nice thing. No matter what. There's nothing wrong with having a cheerful heart and grateful attitude towards others. Pastor appreciation month is just a little time to do something extra. It's not written in stone- it's like Valentine's Day. Yes, you should love and honor your spouse all year long. But there's nothing wrong with doing something nice a couple extra times per year- even if Hallmark put it on the calendar.

PS- also, remember you can thank volunteers and other non-paid people as well as pastors... ANYTIME! It's always good to do! So, If you choose to give a thank-you gift to your SP and want to set up  a donut cart or smoothie stand for all of the hardworking ministers at church, go for it. Have kids do the serving. They learn by doing.

So, ideas...

If a pastor has children, offer to babysit so that he(she) and his (her) wife/ husband can go out for a little date.

Handmade card.

Take a picture of all the kids in your CM and count them. Then put the picture in a card and say (Here's 42 ( # of kids in picture)  good reasons that you should be proud of what you do)

Itunes gift card

amazon gift card

Have the kids make a little snack and invite the pastor to the CM room to talk to kids and instruct them to shake the pastor's hand and say thank you.

Have the youthgroup give the pastor a free car wash.

Make a thank-you sign to decorate the SP's door

A little starbucks goes a long way.

Back to Top View jlg's Profile Search for other posts by jlg Visit jlg's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

rondac
Premium Member
Premium Member

Posted: 14 October 2007 at 10:16pm | IP Logged Quote rondac

WERE CELEBRATING PASTOR APPRECIATION AND OUR SP FAMILY 10 YEARS AT THE CHURCH....WHAT I WAS WONDERING IF THERE IS A POEM OR SOMETHING THAT SOME KIDS COULD READ OR SAY THAT NIGHT.....WE WERE PLAYING ON DOING SOMETHING ELSE, AND HAD SOME TECHINICAL DIFFICULTIES (THE VIDEO GOT ERASED)  SO THIS IS NEXT SUNDAY NIGHT..........YIKES!!

jamie496
Kidmin Pro
Kidmin Pro

Posted: 15 October 2007 at 10:57am | IP Logged Quote jamie496

True, we should be appreciating our pastors at all times - but why not use pastor appreciation month or week or day as a springboard for a change in your church culture?  Let them (the church) see how ministry is affected when an entire congregation gets behind it's pastor and shows outward support for him/her.

We as a leaders in our churches ought to be leading the charge to show appreciation and thanks to our pastors and their spouses.  If you had to stand in your pastor's shoes for a week, what would make your day better?  What would happen that would make you realize that people love and appreciate you?

jimsz
Premium Member
Premium Member

Posted: 15 October 2007 at 11:53am | IP Logged Quote jimsz

jamie496 wrote:

If you had to stand in your pastor's shoes for a week, what would make your day better?  What would happen that would make you realize that people love and appreciate you?

The same question could be asked for the Pastor(s) and staff people to stand in the volunteers shoes! What could they do to you realize that the staff and the Pastors appreciate you?

Both sides need to be united, have proper focus, and be a team.
Back to Top View jimsz's Profile Search for other posts by jimsz Visit jimsz's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

jamie496
Kidmin Pro
Kidmin Pro

Posted: 17 October 2007 at 11:08am | IP Logged Quote jamie496

Alright... well, the inteded focus of this topic was to share ideas about pastor appreciation.

So, what else is out there that can be used to say thanks, as jlg has suggested?

What can you do individualy as a staff member or volunteer children's worker to show appreciation?

What are some ideas you can submit that would change your church's culture from a "once a year" appreciation to a consistant show of thanks or appreciation?

wbman
Kidmin Pro
Kidmin Pro
Tom Bump, Kidmin Pro, Yosemite Summiteer

Posted: 17 October 2007 at 1:02pm | IP Logged Quote wbman

Jimsz,

I would like to encourage you to stay on topic. I think with that said I must comment back to what you last posted. I think you are assuming that Pastor's don't take that into consideration. I for one have worked both sides, volunteer and Pastor. I currently sit in the Pastor chair and I do consider my volunteers. They are heroe's, MVP's and super . I would never take them for granted and I think the vast majority of Pastors feel the same way we do. With that said, Pastor's are in a different category, we are called to serve, 24/7 and for a lifetime. At times, we don't take as much time off as we should, paid what we are worth etc.  But the Bible teaches that what we do is a high calling in which we are also highly accountable to God for each volunteer we have serving with us.

I would love to say move but I will restrain myself. I love my fellow Pastors, many of whom serve, sacrificing more than any volunteer. They go with out earthly thanks, and that's a shame.

Please don't rain on the month. It's only one month, that I agree with jamie, I'd like to see a culture change that people give honor where honor is due.

I would like to see Pastor's make sure they say thanks, regularly and loudly to their workers.

I love it when my children share pictures with me! I also get happy meal toys and fun stuff during the month and that was really cool

I would also like to see some love spread to the Pastor's families because they make the greatest of sacrifices!!!

God bless you ALL as we SERVE the KING TOGETHER! 

Back to Top View wbman's Profile Search for other posts by wbman Visit wbman's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

MarkyMarc
Kidmin Pro
Kidmin Pro
Marc Romero, Kidology Champion

Posted: 17 October 2007 at 1:16pm | IP Logged Quote MarkyMarc

Wow, to suggest that a volunteer works just as hard as a pastor does is...wow.  You must have some really sad pastors around you to think that.

No one in our church works harder than our senior pastor.  No volunteer has to help the couples fighting through a divorce, comfort a family who lost a child, perform a funeral for someone who isn't a Christian...I could go on and on.  What a senior pastor has to do is infinitely more than a volunteer and the depth of commitment is more than a volunteer should ever be exposed to.  If people truly understood what a senior pastor goes through...well, there wouldn't be too many lining up to do it!

To keep on subject I think it's important to show appreciation to your senior pastor.  He works harder for you than you realize.  If someone has a complaint about the children's ministry...they usually go straight to the senior pastor first. 

We (the other staff pastors) take up a collection and send our pastor and his wife away to a local spa/resort for the day.  It comes out of our own pockets and is worth every penny to show him we care and support him. 

Back to Top View MarkyMarc's Profile Search for other posts by MarkyMarc Visit MarkyMarc's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

wbman
Kidmin Pro
Kidmin Pro

Posted: 17 October 2007 at 1:23pm | IP Logged Quote wbman

Marc,

That is really cool what you all do and I agree with your post.

My father was a SP for over 30 years and now is in children's ministry full time with CEF. As hard as that man worked for people they very rarely ever said or did anything in appreciation.

Sometimes I feel guilty for the few things I get during the month, because as a youth or children's pastor I did not deal with everything he did.

I can say without a doubt that his motivation for serving was to bring glory to God and him alone. He knows that in Heaven an appreciation day for Jesus will be far better than anything a human could ever do.

To go back to topic, my last church gave my SP a short cruise for he and his wife, it was awesome! and well deserved!!

Back to Top View wbman's Profile Search for other posts by wbman Visit wbman's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

nacckidszone
Premium Member
Premium Member

Posted: 18 October 2007 at 11:46am | IP Logged Quote nacckidszone

My husband is an Associate Pastor and I am the Children's Ministry Director at our church... so we know the ups and downs of ministry quite well in our house!

My encouragement is that there truly is no better gift than a specific "Thank You" whether it be in a note, an email, in person or via telephone.

Pastor's rarely get bonuses for a job well done. Many don't get evaluated to know whether or not they are doing well. They can't leave work at the end of the day and know that they've accomplished the 'tasks' of their job. There's no beginning, middle, or end to a Pastor's job and because of that there's no way to know if you are really making a difference. You don't know if you've succeeded, if lives are being changed, if marriages are being healed or if those you give your life in service to are growing closer to God. Unless... you tell them!

My husband LOVES to mow the lawn. He loves to do that because he can look back at his well-groomed lawn and know that he's completed something. He's been successful, he's made a difference. It sounds silly, but I've heard that's a common theme among Pastors.

So, I would encourage you to write a note of appreciation which includes a specific way that your Pastor's ministry has impacted you recently.

The only thing better than that is a thank you card with a gift. You'd be amazed at how far a $5 Starbucks gift card would go to put a smile on any of our Pastor's faces!

Back to Top View nacckidszone's Profile Search for other posts by nacckidszone Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

PastorTMcKeever
Administrator
Administrator
Kidology Champion

Posted: 18 October 2007 at 12:27pm | IP Logged Quote PastorTMcKeever

Here at my church and actually at the last couple churches I have been part of over these last 15+ years, Pastor Appreciation is done for all Credentialed Pastors on staff, which includes myself. We are given a donation, prayed for and our wives (only because we happen to just have men pastors this year) are given flowers and a great gift card for a nice department store so they can be pampered.

It was nice that Bosses day was the next day, so then my wife and I went and got our Senior Pastor a nice gift for him and his wife.

iTODD
Equip and Inspire World Changers on th
Back to Top View PastorTMcKeever's Profile Search for other posts by PastorTMcKeever Visit PastorTMcKeever's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

wbman
Kidmin Pro
Kidmin Pro

Posted: 18 October 2007 at 1:55pm | IP Logged Quote wbman

Today I was blessed with two gifts.

One a Cracker Barrel gift card with a hand written note thanking me and my family for serving here. WOW! I must say that it's a rare person that thinks of the sacrifices my family makes. The times where right in the middle of dinner I go to the hospital to visit a person in distress or when I have to when I have to stay late to work with a family who's child is ready to make some foolish decisions.

The other one was tickets to a hockey game for my wife and I. We were also invited to join the family who gave us these for dinner. That is so cool just to have a chance to socialize and have fun!

What a great idea!

CMdir
Basic Member
Basic Member

Posted: 21 October 2007 at 5:25pm | IP Logged Quote CMdir

I am out of town, b/c my mom had surgery this week. Her church did a neat pastor appreciation thing from the children this morning.

Someone wrote a song and the children's choir sang it. It was about Pastor ..... and what he has taught me, and the kids each sang a word or line.

Also, the Choir director had a cornucopia and each family brought a gift card from a restaurant. They stuck the cards on those plastic fork type card holders (from a florist) and had them coming out of the cornucopia. Really neat.

Tonight they are doing other things (adult stuff) and they are having potluck after church.

Back to Top View CMdir's Profile Search for other posts by CMdir Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

jamie496
Kidmin Pro
Kidmin Pro

Posted: 22 October 2007 at 9:49am | IP Logged Quote jamie496

These are all really great ideas everyone.  I would encourage you to try to make it something that can last all month.  Perhaps help to schedule people in your church to do something each week for your pastor - bring in a meal, take his car in for a wash, cut his lawn, drop off desert, etc, etc. 

susvan
Premium Member
Premium Member

Posted: 23 October 2007 at 11:40pm | IP Logged Quote susvan

I just saw this idea in CM magazine and thought it was great! 

I am taking my preteens tomorrow night, and we are going to completely cover our pastor's front door with 100's of sticky notes with encouraging words and sentiments of why he's so important to us written on them.  The kids will get a kick out of it...kind of like TPing a house, only much nicer and you won't get in trouble!   

What a great way to teach kids to serve others in secret. 

Living Louder * Digging Deeper * Growing Stronger
Back to Top View susvan's Profile Search for other posts by susvan Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

KurtS
Premium Member
Premium Member

Kurt Steffen

Posted: 11 October 2008 at 8:37pm | IP Logged Quote KurtS

Wow, that was an interesting read!  Seems like the question was a simple request for ideas on how to bless your pastor during the month of October each year.  Some did that, others sounded a lot like the politicians we have to listen to right now as the elections approach one year later!  The question was simple, don't go into a stupid speal about how what you think or feel about it...just give ideas as was requested.  If you don't like the practice, then stay out and keep it to yourself...perhaps you should have followed scripture and taken the problem to whomever you had "ought against" and you wouldn't have the bitterness still. 

I was looking for ideas and mostly what I got was crying.  Sincere thanks to those who just answered the question and didn't get on the soapbox to preach!

Back to Top View KurtS's Profile Search for other posts by KurtS Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

Guests
Guest Group
Guest Group

Posted: 12 October 2008 at 4:46pm | IP Logged Quote Guests

I think we're going to take that idea of the post-its and picture and do that on our new SP's office door.

Last week to welcome our new SP the church purchased him a very low tech dry erase board which we covered in encouraging notes.  I now our SP has worked long days his first two weeks in office and the church recognizes that fact as well - he was our interim for a period before he placed his PIF in for consideration. 

I think it is fair to say that for the most part there are few ministers who get into the work of ministry for a free, easy ride.  There will be some who lose track or misplace their focus.  Yet no matter how we feel about our SP's lack of attention to our ministry, etc., we are commanded by scripture to support and uphold those in authority over us.  It can at times be that we have to place our emotions at the cross (i've had to do this many many times) but the role of a SP is not an easy one and I am humbled when an individual chooses to undertake that role when presented to them. 

Back to Top View Guests's Profile Search for other posts by Guests Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

beckyjo
Basic Member
Basic Member

Posted: 09 October 2012 at 10:09am | IP Logged Quote beckyjo

Sometimes I have a hard time trying to think of a creative and new way to honor our pastor. I have solved this dilema by inviting our pastor in to the children's ministry 4x's a year for a themed fun, food and fellowship time. Each of these times take either an hour or hour and a half. Here are the themes: Pancakes with the Pastor, Pizza with the Pastor, Popcorn and a movie with the Pastor, Picnic with the Pastor. He is the center of attention whether he is doing a Q & A time with them. Showing them a cool trick or competing in a pizza dough tossing along side his wife. We always invite our Pastor's wife.   In October this year we will play a power point presentation that includes photos of the kids doing ministry or having fun and also a few video clips of Testimony's where the children state that they came to Christ under his leadership. We always stress how thankful we are that he supports our children's ministry. I want my kids to know that they are especialy blessed to have a pastor who understands that they are everybit as important as the adults and he shows it in his interaction, financial support and his prayers.
Back to Top View beckyjo's Profile Search for other posts by beckyjo Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version