Login
Surveys

Does your family use social media?

view more surveys
If you haven't bought a subscription to Kidology.org yet, I won't scold you - just pitty you and cry for you.
- Jamie Doyle
Background Checks Kidology Champions Children's Ministry Magazine

Discussion Forums

Active Topics  |  Search  |  Help
Kidmin Resources & Products
 Kidology Forums : Kidmin Resources & Products
Subject Topic: Elevate Curriculum Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
henryjz
Premium Member
Premium Member
CP = Canadian Pastor

Posted: 25 August 2006 at 9:18am | IP Logged Quote henryjz

This thread is for discussion of the Elevate curriculum. This is a new curriculum put out by Fellowship Church in Grapevine, TX.
Back to Top View henryjz's Profile Search for other posts by henryjz Visit henryjz's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

henryjz
Premium Member
Premium Member
CP = Canadian Pastor

Posted: 25 August 2006 at 9:19am | IP Logged Quote henryjz

posted from another forum
MarkyMarc wrote:
Does Elevate promote small group interaction in their curriculum?
Back to Top View henryjz's Profile Search for other posts by henryjz Visit henryjz's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

henryjz
Premium Member
Premium Member
CP = Canadian Pastor

Posted: 25 August 2006 at 9:20am | IP Logged Quote henryjz

henryjz wrote:
The Elevate curriculum comes with a lot for small groups. In fact, you get two DVDs to give to your small group leaders that demonstrates the small group activities for them. It's like having small group leader training on video. The person on the video goes through the activity articulating the reason for the activity and ways to present it so that the children will respond. Sometimes the person on the video will also give suggestions for different age groups as well.

henryjz
Premium Member
Premium Member
CP = Canadian Pastor

Posted: 25 August 2006 at 9:20am | IP Logged Quote henryjz

MarkyMarc wrote:

Have you used the Elevate curriculum? Can you use the Elevate curriculum but still have a live teacher? It was pretty tough to do that with Kidmo.

franktan14123
Premium Member
Premium Member
Frank Tan

Posted: 25 August 2006 at 10:42am | IP Logged Quote franktan14123

Is Fellowship Church still working on G-Force as well? I know that they used to pilot the G-Force curriculum, and then Lifeway would market it.

FT

henryjz
Premium Member
Premium Member
CP = Canadian Pastor

Posted: 25 August 2006 at 11:30am | IP Logged Quote henryjz

They are no longer doing G-Force. This is their new curriculum, and they are self-publishing now.

apatton
Premium Member
Premium Member
Andy Patton

Posted: 25 August 2006 at 12:18pm | IP Logged Quote apatton

Ok so where can I view this Elevate. I went to Fc Dallas but could not find a link to the cuiiculum. thx,

Andy

henryjz
Premium Member
Premium Member
CP = Canadian Pastor

Posted: 25 August 2006 at 12:56pm | IP Logged Quote henryjz

At the beginning of this thread, there is a link to Elevate. If that doesn't work for you, then you can go to www.creativepastors.com and follow the Ministry Tools & More link.

MissNancy
Kidmin Pro
Kidmin Pro
Nancy Keith

Posted: 25 August 2006 at 2:20pm | IP Logged Quote MissNancy

With Elevate you can do as much "Live" teaching as you want.  It is extremely flexible and could fit into anyone's arrangements.  The curriculum is set-up for both one host or two hosts...your choice.  There is a drama segment that can be "performed" by the host/co-host, two other team members...or you can use the DVD and watch the sketch that way.  You also may opt to use the DVD for the Bible story or you can teach it "Live" using the animated graphics they provide.

As for the small group activities, there are more than you need and they are wonderful.  There are younger/older versions of these lessons.  There are also opening activities, games and a review game for the end.  What I love about the small group activities is that they are all demonstrated on DVD....how to do it....what to say...and the object of the activity.  This way the training is across the board.  All the teachers are exactly on the same page.

As for the music, it is wonderful, but it is sparce.  There are only TWO songs for the whole eight weeks, so we will be supplementing that!

This is a very flexible curriculum.  I am excited that the themes change every eight weeks.  That makes it fun!

Fellowship Church did have a partnership with Lifeway for G-Force, but parted ways over creative differences.  This curriculum takes what we loved from G-Force and added what it desparately needed. 

We start teaching this curriculum on Sept. 10.  We have had a practice run-through and had a great time!  I hope the kids enjoy it as much as we have!

Back to Top View MissNancy's Profile Search for other posts by MissNancy Visit MissNancy's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

sgphillips
Yosemite Summiteer
Yosemite Summiteer
Scott Phillips

Posted: 27 August 2006 at 1:59am | IP Logged Quote sgphillips

OK I have read through the sample lessons, revied the information on the site, looked at the demos they have and for the most parft I think it is a good program.

Question - does anyone else feel that the $160 for 8-weeks is a little pricey?  That's about $20 per week and will be $1120 for the complete 7-series year.  Is anyone else going to have a hard time selling this to the board/Sr. Pastor?

Back to Top View sgphillips's Profile Search for other posts by sgphillips Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

MissNancy
Kidmin Pro
Kidmin Pro
Nancy Keith

Posted: 27 August 2006 at 7:52am | IP Logged Quote MissNancy

It may seem a little pricey, but I believe it is set at a fair market price...or what the market will bear.  When you move into the area of using DVD and advanced graphics, there is a price to pay.  Developers, writers, designers, graphic artists...they all have to be paid.  It would not be wise for them to do this at a loss.

If you believe this is the direction that God would have you go in, I would approach my Pastor with the fact that you are trying to reach the hearts and minds of boys and girls in a way that they will engage...in a way that comes into their culture.  I would also remind him that 65-76% decisions for Christ are made before the age of 14, so it is critical to reach these little wonders.  (I would also give him some information from Barna.org supporting this.)

I would also remind the Pastor that we are at war according to Ephesians 6:11-17 and 2 Corinthians 10:45.  You would not send your soldiers into battle with weapons that do not work, that are outdated and inferior than those of the enemy.  We cannot win this war with antiquated methods.

I would also share with your leadership team that statistics prove that children bring adults to church...not the other way around.  If they want to reach more adults....start with the children.

Sorry, I am a little bit passionate about this one...not so much about Elevate...but in reaching children by the best means possible.

Back to Top View MissNancy's Profile Search for other posts by MissNancy Visit MissNancy's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

apatton
Premium Member
Premium Member
Andy Patton

Posted: 28 August 2006 at 8:52am | IP Logged Quote apatton

I agree that it is what people are willing to pay for material like this. Imagine th time and resources you'd need to creat this in your own church. I have a wonderful large staff and it would cost us alot of man hours and needed talent to produce this. I don't really have a budget to work from so I can't speak to the selling part. Most material I buy must be reworked to fit our needs some times I have bought material only to use one section from the whole thing because my workers have come up with other ideas that fit our makeup better but it has been money well spent. I liked what I saw when I looked at it. I think I am going to try it.

Andy P

sgphillips
Yosemite Summiteer
Yosemite Summiteer
Scott Phillips

Posted: 28 August 2006 at 2:45pm | IP Logged Quote sgphillips

Miss Nancy and apatton (& others)

I do agree that is probably fair.  My only problem is being able to get the material at that cost.  While I do agree that what I have seen of this so far is far above what is already available, when I present this to them the first question will be why is this so much more than what we have previously spent, why can't we reuse some of other stuff (which I have been doing for two years now) and can we do this ourselves.  I guess for the later one I can contact the developers and find out how much time and money went into creating this.  I could really use some input from people that have used it already but since this is new I'll have to wait a few months before we get there.  So I am hoping to work this in over the next few months and if I don't start it in October/November then I can try to shoot for the beginning of the year.

My one concern is how much time I have to spend reworking things.  As Apatton said, they spend a lot of time doing that and I agree, I have to alway massage everything I have to fit into our program.  The main reason is due to length, our Kid's church will typically run for 2 to 2 1/2 hours and could go longer if we have specials or visitors in the main service.  So I am hoping that with all they have and the emphasis on small groups we will plenty of material.

So has anyone used or seen this new curriculum in action.

Back to Top View sgphillips's Profile Search for other posts by sgphillips Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

apatton
Premium Member
Premium Member
Andy Patton

Posted: 29 August 2006 at 7:53am | IP Logged Quote apatton

sgphillips,

Wow you have the kids a long time. What age groups do you have? Are they all in one place or do they get broke down into small groups? Is that whole 2-2.5 hours kids church or is that Sunday School as well? How many kids do you have? 

Anyway.... I was looking at some other materials yesterday and the price is in line for say Kidmo stuff. I was looking at Highpoint by GPH its brand new. It doesn't have as much material but looks like a good package and is alot cheaper. I have used some Kidz Blitz stuff and its cheaper but it doesn't have as much material to work with.

I am convinced that you are paying for the tech / video stuff. Just to give you some feedback. We produce our own video segments from time to time and a 2-3 min. video could take a couple of days to edit and then reshoot bad parts and get the volunteers there to shoot it again. You have to have a green/blue screen to do some stuff outside the box. And..... you have to have someone skilled to edit shott and direct the thing. I am blessed I have those people but I wish they could be on our church staff full time! I'd love to keep talking about this stuff if you'd like.

sgphillips
Yosemite Summiteer
Yosemite Summiteer
Scott Phillips

Posted: 29 August 2006 at 9:50am | IP Logged Quote sgphillips

apatton;

Our KidZone is for 1st to 5th graders and we have a Praise Barn (jr. Kids church) for 4 & 5 year olds (PreK - K) that run at the same time. 

No we do not include Sunday School, that runs from 9:45 to 10:45 before we start, and right after our early morning service.

Our time frame run as follows:

• 11:00 - 11:30 is free time, this is the time parents are brining in the kids, we can chat with them, they can have some time with their friends, and it also follows our fellowship (food) time that we have right after Sunday School for the whole church.  We start a 10 minute countdown video at 11:20.
  • 11:30 - 12:00 is Worship then Offering and announcements.  Worship is usually about 20-25 minutes.
  • 12:00 - 1:00 is the main teaching time with a short introduction, memory verse and activity/game, bible story/lesson, object lesson(s), review game/activity.  We have a variety of things we do here so the hour goes pretty quick but my rule for all the leaders is to keep each segment at 5-10 minutes as not to loose their attention.  It doesn't matter how many time they switch things as long as they are keepiing things moving and the kids don't get bored (bored = problems).
  • 1:00 - 1:30 small group time.  This can vary with simple activity sheet to challenges, games, and even snacks served if they relate to the lesson.  I try not to do everything the same way all the time as to keep the kids wondering what is going to happen TODAY!  But I do keep the general flow of the schedule the same for those kids that like some order.  Trying to balance the two.
  • 1:30 - whenever.  If the service runs longer and the kids are still there we close with a variety of things: toybox tales or other appropriate video/dvd, different games/activities that may relate to the lesson or just for fun to challenge them, or just some free time for them to hang out with one another.

One thing I did not include in the schedule but is the most important is the alter call and prayer time.  I have told all our leaders to always be aware of opportunities to pray and have an alter call.  We always include one some place in our lesson time but depending on how the Holy Spirit is leading each week we may have alter time during worship, offering, if some one asks a question during the service, and I have even had one when we were doing announcements because we hit on something that was really important.  I always tell my leaders that if they do not have prayer and alter time each week the best they can do is just have a good time.  The ministry is what is important and is what we need to emphasize.  All the other stuff is the methods to get there.

For those that were reading through this long post wondering why it is stuck in the middle of this thread, I apoligize.  I just wanted to answer the questions apatton asked. 

Apatton if you want to discuss any of this further offline please let me know (sphillips@jwk.com)

Mike/Fellowship church
Premium Member
Premium Member

Posted: 30 August 2006 at 7:47pm | IP Logged Quote Mike/Fellowship church

Hey! I'm looking forward to jumping in here whenever I can. I am the Director of Children's Ministry at Fellowship Church and am in charge of Elevate. I will check in from time to time, so if you have questions, I or someone from my staff will try to post an answer! Looking forward to learning from all of you!
Back to Top View Mike/Fellowship church's Profile Search for other posts by Mike/Fellowship church Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

marylynn12539
Premium Member
Premium Member

Posted: 31 August 2006 at 6:31pm | IP Logged Quote marylynn12539

We are using Elevate this fall.  We are a small church and have never used DVD Curriculum before.  My question is will a 27" screen TV built into the sceanery be large enough to hold the kids attention.  The kids can see this size screen but I know a larger screen would be much better.  We can spend between $300-$500 dollors so I don't think we will get anything much bigger. 

I sold this curriculum to our board by showing how the youth can help me teach the lessons.  I plan on letting them do several on their own with my supervision.  Everyone is excited about it.

Back to Top View marylynn12539's Profile Search for other posts by marylynn12539 Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

Mike/Fellowship church
Premium Member
Premium Member

Posted: 31 August 2006 at 9:05pm | IP Logged Quote Mike/Fellowship church

A lot depends on the size of the room. In one of our satellite churches we are using 2 TV's of similar size and it is working well (they average about 40 K-5th graders per service). We are half way through our newest series "Heroes" and we are showing the whole skit and Bible story on TV (rather than perform it live). Our kids have been responded really well to it (I still feel that performing the skit live is the best, but I am holding judgement to see how our kids respond to the full 8 week series - There are many reasons why I like the thought of video, but that's for a discussion another day.) Are you going to be using your youth to perform the skits? Are you going to show either the Bible Story or the Skit on TV? We finished "On the Trail" several weeks ago and in all of our locations we performed the skit but showed the Bible story on TV. That worked really well for us!

I am really excited about the new series "Heroes". The Bible story takes place in the middle of the skit and highlights some characters in the Bible that aren't usually picked (some due to obscurity, some to the brevity with which they are mentioned). We have filmed 4 series (On the Trail, Heroes, Treasure Quest, and Winter Extreme). Each of them is very unique and we are looking forward to showing them to our kids.

Be sure to use the map to get the parents and kids excited about what is to come over the next year. Our parents have responded with great enthusiasm to it. It really is like a theme park map, they can't wait to get to each destination.
Back to Top View Mike/Fellowship church's Profile Search for other posts by Mike/Fellowship church Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

MissNancy
Kidmin Pro
Kidmin Pro
Nancy Keith

Posted: 31 August 2006 at 9:09pm | IP Logged Quote MissNancy

What is the setting for Heroes? 

sgphillips
Yosemite Summiteer
Yosemite Summiteer
Scott Phillips

Posted: 31 August 2006 at 10:00pm | IP Logged Quote sgphillips

MaryLynn;

Interesting idea.  How are you planning to use the kids to help out.  I would be interested in ideas how you are including your kids and at wat age/grade.

MissNancy
Kidmin Pro
Kidmin Pro
Nancy Keith

Posted: 01 September 2006 at 6:48am | IP Logged Quote MissNancy

We have used Youth to lead worship, to do object lessons, to do the drama....and the kids love them.  I just really make sure that the Youth we use are walking what they are talking, because their example is so important and has a great impact.  I also make sure that the Youth that are serving are not out of their teaching loop for very long.  As a rule, Youth can serve one Sunday a month in our ministry.

apatton
Premium Member
Premium Member
Andy Patton

Posted: 01 September 2006 at 9:18am | IP Logged Quote apatton

HEy gys,

I have about 6-8 youth that help me out but none of them are in an athoritative role over smaller kids. too much pressure for them and to much authority goes to their heads. Remeber they are still youth. I have a couple of 6th graders who are goffers for the adult staff. Anything they need from supplies to a drink of water the goffers get it for them. They really just enjoy being a part. I have 2 young teens who are puppets for song presentations or larger skits. I have 1-2 older teens who are back up singers during worship time. I also have them as crowd control and greeters for the kids. I have had problems in the past giving them too much responsibilty so I curb that and expand it as they stick with us. Most of the teens I have noticed get tired of Children's Ministry after the first year.

I would never leave them in aroom to be in charge of a group of kids on thier own there must always be an adult staff member with them. I never never never let them work one on one with a child or do bathroom duty. It just me but we live in a nutty world and most adults don't trust teens anyhow.

What does eveyone elso do???? Maybe we should start a new thread????????

Mike/Fellowship church
Premium Member
Premium Member

Posted: 01 September 2006 at 10:33am | IP Logged Quote Mike/Fellowship church

Heroes is set in the Training Center for Mega City. 2 young "wanna-be" super heroes have come to the training center to learn what it takes to be a true Super Hero. Each week they learn a characteristic of a true hero from one of the super heroes of Mega City. Characteristics such as "Heroes never give up doing good", "Heroes always tell the truth", and "Heroes always do what they say they will do". Each characteristic is discovered as the Hero from Mega city tells 1 to 3 Bible stories that have inspired him/her. The Bible story graphics are in comic book form.

This was a really fun series to produce, and our kids are really enjoying it. It ships September 8th

marylynn12539
Premium Member
Premium Member

Posted: 01 September 2006 at 5:53pm | IP Logged Quote marylynn12539

I'm glad to know that the 27" T.V. will work.  The young people that are going to help me are part of the Puppet Ministry.  They range in age from 6th grade to 1st year in college.  All but two of them have been with me ever since they were part of Children's Church.   They have helped in many areas of Children's Ministry (games, skits, worship, etc.) including going to the homeless shelters and working with the children at these facilities.  I am very proud of each one of  these young people.  Our pastor often calls on these young people to assist him when he needs help.  Our younger children look up to them and look forward to being part of the Puppet Ministry when they are old enough.  

I will divide the ministry team into 2 teams consisting of both the younger and older youth.  The younger team members will be assistants to me and the older members.  I will assign different parts of the lesson to the older members - High School and College.  At this time we will use the video story time and  do the skit live.  One of the jobs of the younger members will be to run the video and sound.  We will have a puppet song or puppet skit to go along with each lesson and a memory verse game (younger youth will help with this part).  They will also help with the praise and worship time.  We meet together 1 1/2 hours before church to prepare.  This is quite a commitment for some since they must drive 45 minutes to 1 hour to get to church.

Mike, where is the map you spoke of and how do you use it so the parents get excited.  There was one part I could not open - DS-Store.  Would this be the area the map is found. 

I can't wait to begin!

Back to Top View marylynn12539's Profile Search for other posts by marylynn12539 Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

Mike/Fellowship church
Premium Member
Premium Member

Posted: 01 September 2006 at 7:24pm | IP Logged Quote Mike/Fellowship church

You can access the downloadble map at
http://www.creativepastors.com/product_1403

A description of the map can be found at
http://www.creativepastors.com/elevate_year1.php

We printed the map onto a promotional piece that we gave to all the parents with a description of all the places that their kids will be going this upcoming year.

We are toying with the idea of making posters of the map to sell to our kids in our Cool Cash Store

MissNancy
Kidmin Pro
Kidmin Pro
Nancy Keith

Posted: 02 September 2006 at 9:00am | IP Logged Quote MissNancy

One big wish:  That you could put the words on the song training videos.  We would be able to learn the motions and the words at the same time.  Also, it would be great if you could include kids doing the motions on the music videos.

Are you ever going to do more than two songs?  Where do you work music in on your service?

And....this is not a sexist comment....but are all of the units male-dominated?  It just seems to be moving in that direction.  I think a lot of ministries don't have the male involvement.

henryjz
Premium Member
Premium Member
CP = Canadian Pastor

Posted: 02 September 2006 at 9:16am | IP Logged Quote henryjz

Mike,

I am so glad that you are a part of Kidology and willing to share with those of us who are joining you on this journey with Elevate. Thank you so much for all the hard work that has gone into putting this curriculum together. I can't wait to get started!

MissNancy wrote:
One big wish: That you could put the words on the song training videos. We would be able to learn the motions and the words at the same time.

I agree. It would be easier to learn the songs that way.

MissNancy wrote:
Also, it would be great if you could include kids doing the motions on the music videos.

This is where personal preference comes in . Personally, I don't like it when there are people (kids or adults) in a music video. In my experience, the kids in the service tend to just watch the kids in the video. So it is more of a distraction for me. I wouldn't use the videos if there were any people in them.

So far, I love what I see in the curriculum. We are going to be doing a run through of it in the next week before we start on the 10th. My volunteers are excited as well. We are building sets this upcoming week. This is the first time I've come across a curriculum that I don't have to do major rewriting/reworking of. It fits in really well with our format and style. I also like how things are broken up. That is one of the major problems I have with curriculum... the flow. This one flows really well and seems to take into consideration how kids pay attention. Again, thanks to you and your amazing team for all your hard work on this. I hope more people hop on board.

henryjz
Premium Member
Premium Member
CP = Canadian Pastor

Posted: 02 September 2006 at 9:19am | IP Logged Quote henryjz

Oh I did have one suggestion. I don't know how hard it would be, but we would benefit from having the actual movie files. We use MediaShout, and it would be great to be able to put the video into that more easily. We are already going to do it with the audio. Ripping the video segments, though, off the DVD would take forever so we aren't doing that this time. I might make that a fun project for my intern next time, though

MissNancy
Kidmin Pro
Kidmin Pro
Nancy Keith

Posted: 02 September 2006 at 9:21am | IP Logged Quote MissNancy

I so agree with you, henryjz!  I usually have to do so much re-working, but  now I am just enjoying the ride!  Our team is having so much fun!  The writing is awesome!  We love it!

Mike/Fellowship church
Premium Member
Premium Member

Posted: 03 September 2006 at 5:01pm | IP Logged Quote Mike/Fellowship church

Great idea on having the words of the song on the training video. We will do that on our next series "Treasure Quest"...thanks for the idea!

Please note that any of the characters that we have written into our skits can be performed by a male or female. We try to choose names that can be used by a male or a female because we use both on the weekends ourselves. The first time a female is used on our video skit will be in "Treasure Quest".

At the present time we don't plan on offering more than 2 songs per series. However, feel free to add more songs if you like. I know that many churches have more time than we do for a service (1 hour) and that music is a great thing to add.

In response to the Media Shout question. We use Media Shout ourselves. Note that Media Shout allows you to control a DVD player, so with it you can put any of our elements in any order you would like. There is a small delay when you hit each button but we find this better than downloading our files to the computer. The quality of the video is much better off the DVD.

Thanks for the encouraging word on the writing and flow of our lessons. I too always felt discouraged when I had to put in alot of time "tweaking" a lesson before it could be used. One of my major goals was to make sure that didn't happen with Elevate.

Page of 25
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version