Login
Surveys

Does your family use social media?

view more surveys
"I am currently a missionary teacher in Japan and I am very thankful for the resources offered on kidology.org. They have truly been a blessing, and I believe He is using them for His glory. Thanks so much!"
-Amberly Doss, missionary to Japan
Background Checks Kidology Coaching Children's Ministry Magazine

Discussion Forums

Active Topics  |  Search  |  Help
Let's Talk Children's Ministry
 Kidology Forums : Let's Talk Children's Ministry
Subject Topic: Bible Bucks Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
jbr
Premium Member
Premium Member

Posted: 13 February 2006 at 2:27pm | IP Logged Quote jbr

Ahh...Bible Bucks...I don't really love the idea but I know our kids and parents do so we had our kick-off last week. I will have a "Bible Buckaroo Store" once a month where the kiddos can buy goodies.

What are you suggestions as to why one should receive a Bible Buck...coming to church, bringing Bible, good behavior...etc...

Back to Top View jbr's Profile Search for other posts by jbr Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

PastorTMcKeever
Administrator
Administrator
Kidology Champion

Posted: 13 February 2006 at 3:10pm | IP Logged Quote PastorTMcKeever

Ahh.. oh ya Bible Bucks. I would just want to suggest that you really think through what you give them for. Please remember that what you do decide to give them out for is what the kids will learn is valuable.

For example is just bringing a Bible what is really important to you? They keep it in the car all week so that when it is church time they pull it off the car floor board and bring it in to get a Bible Buck. I had some kids a good few years ago who figured out where they could store their Bible at the church and no one would take them and their parents didn't get mad at them for leaving their Bibles in the car, so that when it was church time they could get their Bible bucks really because we had taught them to be good hiders of God's word - literally.

There was also those kids who were excellent at memorizing scripture. Here these kids would look at a scripture and in just a few minutes, have it down word for word. They would then come running in to say the scripture and get Bible bucks. Have you ever asked the kids parents if they could find out if little "Johnny" still knew his verse that he had said earlier that day? I have, and the majority of the time the parents would comment how the kids could not remember the verse. This brought a whole new definition to "study to show your self approved". They would study for 5 minutes and they would be approved to get a Bible Buck, to only forget it latter that day.

So again let me just suggest really thinking through with your team if you are going to give them out what you give them out for.
Back to Top View PastorTMcKeever's Profile Search for other posts by PastorTMcKeever Visit PastorTMcKeever's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

jbr
Premium Member
Premium Member

Posted: 13 February 2006 at 3:16pm | IP Logged Quote jbr

Yes, I am with ya!! That is why I need so much help from everyone in seeing what we will give those little buckaroos out for.
Back to Top View jbr's Profile Search for other posts by jbr Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

Fred & Cathy
Premium Member
Premium Member

Posted: 13 February 2006 at 3:17pm | IP Logged Quote Fred & Cathy

Those are good reasons to receive "Bible Bucks". Some more may include:

1)  Bringing a friend

2) Scripture memory

3) Review questions at the end of the service

4) The right answer during the service

woodyga
Premium Member
Premium Member

Posted: 13 February 2006 at 6:41pm | IP Logged Quote woodyga

I give out Bible bucks if they attend outings. Our district just had a kids missions day an only 1 kid wanted to go to it.  I offered Bible Bucks to who ever wanted to go and I ended up with 9 kids going. I always give them infront of the other kids, to encourage them to go with us next time.

Back to Top View woodyga's Profile Search for other posts by woodyga Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

lolligirl
Premium Member
Premium Member

Posted: 13 February 2006 at 8:39pm | IP Logged Quote lolligirl

I know that we had been using a point system where we just kept track of their points they earned when they checked in. We switched to "dollars" after the new year and I've noticed a big difference. Way more kids are saying their verse every week now. They love to get something they can actually hold in their hand. I think bucks/dollars are a good idea. We give them for the normal things - coming, Bible, offering, bringing a friend, saying your verse. A first time visitor gets an automatic 100 dollars.

CarolynGwen
Premium Member
Premium Member

Posted: 13 February 2006 at 10:41pm | IP Logged Quote CarolynGwen

We stopped handing them out for saying your verse for the exact reason stated above.  They read it, say it, and literally 2 minutes later they don't know it.

We hand them out for bringing a friend, bringing offering, bringing a Bible, and other random moments.

If I see a child give of themself in a game to help a younger one out, a good deed done, etc.. 

When I hand them out it's totally random.

I also have a calendar they don't see. It will say "5th boy to say his verse by heart" or "girls side 2nd row 3rd chair from the main aisle".

My random weekly selection is from 2 to 5 bucks.

My favorite hand out is for our speed stackers. Of course the fastest is always the best time right??

Well I will pick the slowest, 3rd fastest, etc... some times.  Now the kids try not to be the fastest if they think it's a week I'm doing a speed stacker hand out on the bucks.

Back to Top View CarolynGwen's Profile Search for other posts by CarolynGwen Visit CarolynGwen's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

jbr
Premium Member
Premium Member

Posted: 13 February 2006 at 11:36pm | IP Logged Quote jbr

Hi Everyone! Thank you all so much. Your ideas and wisdom are a huge help.

We love the speed stacking!! I love the idea about giving the Bible Bucks out to the slowest, for example...we could say God doesn't just love those who win but he loves EVERYONE!!

CarolynGwen
Premium Member
Premium Member

Posted: 13 February 2006 at 11:47pm | IP Logged Quote CarolynGwen

We use our timer mats now for those who say their verse.  If you say it flawlessly you can go time yourself.

The kids learned pretty quickly that if they know it before they get to church they have more chances at the timer mat for plently of chances at the fastest time.  A good majority of them now know by heart before they arrive to church.

Where we had kids reading the verse through while waiting in line to say it to me and 2 minutes later it was out of their head we now have them scrambling to tell me so they can go start timing their stacking.  

Before we started this a couple months back maybe 4 kids were saying it for a Bible buck.  Now we are averaging 17 out of 25 kids knowing it when they walk in the door.

We have a chart that I keep updated weekly with all the times.

The parents see it and can encourage their kids now as well.

Back to Top View CarolynGwen's Profile Search for other posts by CarolynGwen Visit CarolynGwen's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

jbr
Premium Member
Premium Member

Posted: 13 February 2006 at 11:59pm | IP Logged Quote jbr

So, are the kids getting timed for the memory verse and the speed stacks?

oooh...I need the time mat for the speed stacks, don't I??

eriepastor7638
Premium Member
Premium Member

Posted: 15 February 2006 at 5:20am | IP Logged Quote eriepastor7638

For what it's worth, I recently blogged on the topic of Bible Buck at www.childrensministryandculture.wordpress.com. It's in the article: "The Freakanomics of Children's Ministry."
Back to Top View eriepastor7638's Profile Search for other posts by eriepastor7638 Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

jbr
Premium Member
Premium Member

Posted: 15 February 2006 at 4:53pm | IP Logged Quote jbr

Thanks. I did check out the website. I love to hear everyone's point of views...my still tends to lead to 'no bucks' but we can atleast try it for a while...

The blog was worth atleast a couple of Bible Bucks..hee..hee...

jbr
Premium Member
Premium Member

Posted: 20 February 2006 at 8:59am | IP Logged Quote jbr

Does anyone have a 'write up' that they gave out to the teachers explaining Bible Bucks, points, etc.?

ckids
Premium Member
Premium Member

Posted: 23 February 2006 at 6:59pm | IP Logged Quote ckids

maybe the problem is that you guys keep calling them "buckaroos."  that would make me resentful too. 

i don't pass these out for everything kids do.  we do use them for our wed night program (we call them kids cash or remix cash).  they earn a majority of points for memory work, friends & bible rdg/prayer.  i don't use them on sunday 'cause i think it would get old and harder to keep track of. 

as far as earning for memory work - we hand out the verses and kids have to wait a week before they can recite them.  this seems to help some.

Back to Top View ckids's Profile Search for other posts by ckids Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

jbr
Premium Member
Premium Member

Posted: 23 February 2006 at 8:04pm | IP Logged Quote jbr

Hi Ckids, I live Kids Cash! I also like taking the memory verse and coming back the following week...EXCELLENT!

jbr
Premium Member
Premium Member

Posted: 23 February 2006 at 8:05pm | IP Logged Quote jbr

ooopppss.... I meant..I LIKE Kids Cash.

CarolynGwen
Premium Member
Premium Member

Posted: 23 February 2006 at 9:00pm | IP Logged Quote CarolynGwen

ckids wrote:
 'cause i think it would get old and harder to keep track of. 

I went to Office Max and got zipped pouches and binders and store them in there for the kids.

Girls get pink/purple and boys get blue/green.

I made name tags for the kids and put them in each pouch.

It is the kids responsibility to keep their cash in there. If they loose them they are out the cash.

So far it's been an excellent process for me.

Each Sunday am I lay them out on tables for them and they put them back at the end of class.

Since I got the pouches and made them responsible for it (1st - 4th grade) things have gotten so much easier to keep track of.

jbr
Premium Member
Premium Member

Posted: 23 February 2006 at 9:19pm | IP Logged Quote jbr

Another winning idea. Are those the pouches that they keep pencils, etc. in?

CarolynGwen
Premium Member
Premium Member

Posted: 24 February 2006 at 11:50pm | IP Logged Quote CarolynGwen

yup they sure are.

I'll get pictures of my set up on Sunday.

The name tags are actually post cards (found in the do it yourself business area) that are 4 per page.

I feel this size of "card" works the best because you can get just about anyone's long first/last name on a line with it and it is large and readable.

This still works for kids who can't read because by 1st grade when we get them they at least know what their first and last name look like.

The name tags were done with Word art found in the Microsoft Word program (I can walk anyone through how to do Word art projects in about 4 minutes on the phone. If you don't know how to do Word art yet please feel free to send me your phone number and we can arrange a time to chat).

I can't tell you how much this process has helped us this last month (and eased headaches!).  

No more "my money was taken by someone" , "hey teacher I lost my dollar over by the piano give me another please"  , "Today is the store and I have 20 at home can you loan me them until I bring my others in next week"  etc...

The pouches at Office Max are neon too so they are easy to spot any where in our room.

marylynn12539
Premium Member
Premium Member

Posted: 25 February 2006 at 9:13am | IP Logged Quote marylynn12539

What are timer mats and how do they work - I realize you use them with speed stacks but we haven't done that before.
Back to Top View marylynn12539's Profile Search for other posts by marylynn12539 Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

CarolynGwen
Premium Member
Premium Member

Posted: 25 February 2006 at 4:20pm | IP Logged Quote CarolynGwen

They are non skid mats for the cups with a hand timer attached.

The kids can time themselves on their speed stacking.

We hand out a Bible Buck to the first second and third place on times each week as of last week.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version