Login
Surveys

Does your family use social media?

view more surveys
Let me tell you how much I am enjoying the Kidmin Talk episodes.  They are absolutely wonderful. I didn't think they could get better, but you have managed that! The most refreshing thing I have found is I always get an email back when I write. The business world could take a lesson from you guys! Keep up the good work, people are listening!
-Marty McCutcheon
Background Checks Kidology Garage Sale Children's Ministry Magazine

Discussion Forums

Active Topics  |  Search  |  Help
Let's Talk Children's Ministry
 Kidology Forums : Let's Talk Children's Ministry
Subject Topic: Incredibles/Super Hero Kids Crusade Theme Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Pastor Tammy
Premium Member
Premium Member

Posted: 24 May 2005 at 3:34pm | IP Logged Quote Pastor Tammy

Hi, I am a Children's Pastor and we do our own Kids Crusade/VBS each year.  Our Crusade runs Sunday through Wednesday evenings.  We gather in the main sanctuary and begin with fun ball, special character, extreme games, puppets, worship, then we split and do a craft and snack, then come back together and finish with a short video clip, scripture, bible skit, object lesson, special character, altar, etc.  Of cource I have an overall theme and we have a specific topic each night which coinsides with the overall theme.  I enlist the help of our staff, youth ministry, and numerous parents and adults throughout the church to help.  I wanted to go with an Icredibles/Super Hero theme this year.  But I am stumped as to how I can use it and what I could do as far as the lesson, etc. goes.  I do have a few resources that I have collected from Kidology and other ideas that I have gathered.  Does anyone have any ideas or resources that would help me out.  Thanks!
Back to Top View Pastor Tammy's Profile Search for other posts by Pastor Tammy Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

Kidjoni
Kidmin Pro
Kidmin Pro
Joni Lum, Kidology Champion

Posted: 24 May 2005 at 8:12pm | IP Logged Quote Kidjoni

I'm looking for this, too!  I love Edna! 
Back to Top View Kidjoni's Profile Search for other posts by Kidjoni Visit Kidjoni's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

Gerry Galbreath
Premium Member
Premium Member
Gerry Galbreath

Posted: 25 May 2005 at 10:23am | IP Logged Quote Gerry Galbreath

I am currently writing a series using the Incredibles as spring board for my Sunday morning Kidz Church.  Most weeks we are using a clip from the Incredibles movie but a couple weeks I haven't been able to find one to fit so we have used a few clips from other super hero movies.

The basic theme of what I am doing is based on the first part of the Incredibles where the super heroes are told they have to stop beng super heroes.  It didn't really change who they were they just stopped practicing what they were created to do.  Before Jesus left the earth he said that his followers would be able to do all of the things that he did so why aren't more people doing them?  It's because the world tells us we can't and we listen to them.

Each week we are looking at some of the super heroes in the Bible (like Sampson, Gideon, Elisha etc.)  We are showing that a Super Heroes power does not come from himself it comes from a supernatural source.  This week we will be introducing the gifts of the spirit and showing that each person has different gifts that are chosen for us by God.  We will be showing the clip from the end of the Incredibles movie where the entire Incredible family and Frozone al use their gifts together in order to overcome Syndrome.

None of them chose which gift they would have but they used the gift that was given them in conjunction with other super heroes to collectively accomplish great things.

Maybe this will help to get your creative juices flowing.

Gerry

Back to Top View Gerry Galbreath's Profile Search for other posts by Gerry Galbreath Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

pmike9121
Basic Member
Basic Member

Posted: 25 May 2005 at 12:06pm | IP Logged Quote pmike9121

We are doing our VBS this year called "Jesus is my Superhero." We are going to be comparing different superheroes to Jesus and showing how they are cool, but He is the ultimate. We will be renting costumes and actually having Batman, Spiderman, etc. come and visit, but we are considering maybe having the characters themselves talk about how Jesus can do things that they can't even do.

Our goal is to have our kids be so excited about Jesus that they know His "stats" as well as they do the stats of superheroes. We are also going to have lots of Jesus action figures to give away as prizes.

Hope this helps!! Have a great week

hizkidz
Premium Member
Premium Member

Posted: 25 May 2005 at 4:16pm | IP Logged Quote hizkidz

I just sat down early yesterday morning and begin working on our VBS with the same theme.  We're calling ours "Finding the Superhero in You".  We will run ours Friday-Sunday nights.  Our first lesson will be on self-esteem and spiritual gifts, where we'll talk about how God sees us (fearfully and wonderfully made) and how each of us is given gifts and put on this earth to worship Him.  We are going to give the kids a spiritual gifts inventory also. Our verse for that night is Philippians 4:13. Our mission for that night is to defeat our enemy, The Shadow of Doubt.  The second night we will talk about Humbleness and Giving God the glory for all the abilities He has given us.  We'll use Colossians 3:23-24 and James 1:17 and 1 Peter 5:6 and 1 Peter 4:10.  Our mission for that night is to defeat our enemy The Phantom of Pride.  On the 3rd session, we will talk about Jesus, the Ultimate Superhero and how He gave the ultimate to save the whole world.  Our mission for that night is...we don't have one!  Our enemy, Satan has already been defeated by our superhero, Jesus Christ.  We've started working on the skits, costumes, crafts, etc. and we're brainstorming these ideas, so if you have any, I'd love to hear them.  Sunday we will close with a huge Superhero Celebration where we're planning for giant slides, moonwalk inflatable, etc.  We want all of our workers to be dressed as superheros and have superhero names, but we haven't figured all that out yet. We already have many characters and puppets that we use in children's church.  We have our superhero, Armor Man already too.  We'll have Spiderman, Captain America, Batman, and 3 others that will make appearances.  Our refreshment area will be called the Superhero Snack shop, where the kids order Superhero snacks from a menu.  Our costume character Trinket Man will hand out small gifts and prizes each night, like superhero power pills (lifesavers) and our Superhero Training Manual (Bible) bookmarker.  Our theme song is of course, "Jesus, you're my superhero" by the Hillsongs.  Since you'll run yours 4 nights, you could do your last night on witnessing with your mission including the great commission!  Hope this helps!

Back to Top View hizkidz's Profile Search for other posts by hizkidz Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

Asburykids
Premium Member
Premium Member
Terry Johnson

Posted: 25 May 2005 at 10:48pm | IP Logged Quote Asburykids

We just finished up a 3-week series called Becoming one of God's Incredibles. The series was actually based on Living a Spirit-filled Life and talking about the Holy Spirit. We developed a logo - I will place on here in the morning - and we also used clips from the movie to make a cool intro to the series and then also we used for our lessons.

Let me know if you would like to see what we came up with - or I guess - I could post it to the site here...how do we do that?

Terry

Back to Top View Asburykids's Profile Search for other posts by Asburykids Visit Asburykids's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

pamgerdes12870
Premium Member
Premium Member

Posted: 25 May 2005 at 10:58pm | IP Logged Quote pamgerdes12870

If you are looking for a theme song, Hillsong's "All the power you need" would be a lot of fun.
Back to Top View pamgerdes12870's Profile Search for other posts by pamgerdes12870 Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

Pastor Tammy
Premium Member
Premium Member

Posted: 26 May 2005 at 9:41am | IP Logged Quote Pastor Tammy

Thank you so much for the awesome ideas everyone!  I liked the "Finding The Super Hero In You" theme, I didn't really want to attach Jesus or anything like that to it since we attract alot of the general public.  Hizkidz, an idea for your third night could be something like Prowler of Fear?  Or maybe switch Phantom and Prowler, and put Phantom with Fear.  Alot of my kids struggle with not only Doubt and Pride, but also Fear.  Unless you have another word to go with Fear.  Just an idea.  Terry, I would love to see your logo.  I'm not sure how you go about that either.  My wheels are turning.  Thank you so much! 
Back to Top View Pastor Tammy's Profile Search for other posts by Pastor Tammy Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

marylynn12539
Premium Member
Premium Member

Posted: 27 May 2005 at 12:53am | IP Logged Quote marylynn12539

We did this theme a few years ago at VBS.  All of our kids get a T-shirt and that year the picture we had on the T- shirt was a cartoon Kid with a "superman like costume - & a large SK on the cartoon kid's chest.  The SK stands for Super Kid.  At the end of VBS each child had learned to follow Jesus and were SUPER KIDS.

Mary Lynn

Back to Top View marylynn12539's Profile Search for other posts by marylynn12539 Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

ShelTX9621
Premium Member
Premium Member

Posted: 27 May 2005 at 9:50pm | IP Logged Quote ShelTX9621

I'm doing a superhero theme for VBS, too. I'm using more of the old Batman series style for decorating...lots of pows and kerplunk on big colored bursts will be plastered all over our sanctuary. I'm doing a skyline out of black all along the tops of the walls...giving it that real cartoon superhero look.

I'm calling it Real Super Heroes...focusing our eyes on Jesus our real super hero....

Our church just went through a terrible thing and we lost our pastor...a lot of our congregation was shaken to the core. I think it's so timely that I chose this theme before any of the stuff began...I think it's going to help our church a lot to be able to spend a week focusing on Jesus and not man...
Back to Top View ShelTX9621's Profile Search for other posts by ShelTX9621 Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

susieq
Premium Member
Premium Member

Posted: 06 June 2005 at 1:45am | IP Logged Quote susieq

Hello,
We must all be thinking alike. I to have been thinking of a VBS along these lines. What comes to my mind is that Super Heros must have a costume. What about funking up the armor of God. You can stick a mask on with that helmet and kids love swords, especially if they look like light sabers. I hope you share anything you come up with.
Susieq
Back to Top View susieq's Profile Search for other posts by susieq Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

Asburykids
Premium Member
Premium Member
Terry Johnson

Posted: 06 June 2005 at 5:26pm | IP Logged Quote Asburykids

Here is our logo we have used...you can view it in a larger format at www.asburychurch.org. We are in the middle of VBS but I will try to post my series here soon.

Back to Top View Asburykids's Profile Search for other posts by Asburykids Visit Asburykids's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

joanna7014
Premium Member
Premium Member

Posted: 08 June 2005 at 2:07pm | IP Logged Quote joanna7014

I am doint OT Incredibles for our Childrens Church this summer.  We are looking at at Different Old Testament hero each week, I have Mr. Incredible viedo skits that we will show and each week we are passing out the Super Hero card I am taking them directily out of the Super Heroes Bible It has great trading card type things for each Bible Hero. Joanna

Back to Top View joanna7014's Profile Search for other posts by joanna7014 Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

Kidjoni
Kidmin Pro
Kidmin Pro
Joni Lum, Kidology Champion

Posted: 08 June 2005 at 2:15pm | IP Logged Quote Kidjoni

I love your logo...and Joanna, I was wondering if you could share your skits?  I'm thinking of this for the fall.  Very cool! 

when you made your trading cards, did you shrink and use the ones from the super heros Bible? Do I need to get permission from the publisher to do that?  This sounds like such a great idea, I can't wait to start putting it all together.  Joni

Back to Top View Kidjoni's Profile Search for other posts by Kidjoni Visit Kidjoni's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

PJB
Premium Member
Premium Member

Posted: 03 August 2012 at 6:36pm | IP Logged Quote PJB

I love this theme!
We are doing a Heroes theme this year.
If anyone would like to share, I would appreciate any lessons, logos, skits or ideas that you used.

Thanks so much!
God bless!
Pam

Back to Top View PJB's Profile Search for other posts by PJB Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

kidsconnect
Basic Member
Basic Member

Posted: 23 June 2014 at 4:43pm | IP Logged Quote kidsconnect

any one have any current super hero themed advice?
Back to Top View kidsconnect's Profile Search for other posts by kidsconnect Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

Steven Knight
Kidmin Pro
Kidmin Pro

Posted: 23 June 2014 at 6:53pm | IP Logged Quote Steven Knight

Hey, I gathered up some of the Superhero resources in the Kidology Store for you, in case anyone is interested in more resources: Superhero Resources

Also, some resources from the Kidology Zones: Superhero Resources in the Zones

I've done a few Superhero themed lessons before using different "superheroes of the faith" to teach how they followed God through the good times and the hard times. Love teaching children that even the "biggest Bible characters" in the Bible messed up and needed God's help! They are also powerful testimonies of how to faithfully follow God (Joseph, for example).

Blog: KidMinTools.com
Twitter: @StevenKnight09
Back to Top View Steven Knight's Profile Search for other posts by Steven Knight Visit Steven Knight's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version