Login
Surveys

Do you do background checks at your church?

view more surveys
I thoroughly enjoyed the Kidology To Go conference! I felt like I got permission to do many of the things in my class that I wanted to do , but was afraid they may not be acceptable- Like have FUN!!! Plus there were so many great ideas. I plan on getting lots of TOYS for Christmas this year to share with my class. Also appreciated the teaching on how to handle difficult opportinities instead of difficult kids. - Thank you for bringing this great class!
- Elaine Hester
Background Checks Kidology Store Children's Ministry Magazine

Discussion Forums

Active Topics  |  Search  |  Help
Let's Talk Children's Ministry
 Kidology Forums : Let's Talk Children's Ministry
Subject Topic: Presenting the Gospel with Simple Objects Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Glen Woods
Kidmin Pro
Kidmin Pro

Posted: 16 March 2013 at 11:38am | IP Logged Quote Glen Woods

I'm going to be spending many of my evenings and weekends particularly during the warm months interacting with unreached people in my neighborhood where they live. Not just young kids, but also their parents, grandparents, uncles, older siblings, etc.

What are your best simple ideas for illustrating the gospel to the kids, and by extension, their families? I need ideas which the kids can then take and do on their own or with their friends and families in the neighborhood. So, preferably everyday objects would be used rather than specialized items.

Can anyone help with this?

For an idea of what I've been up to, you may read another thread here.

Doing life in the margins with the unreached...
Break camp and advance....
Back to Top View Glen Woods's Profile Search for other posts by Glen Woods Visit Glen Woods's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

wbman
Kidmin Pro
Kidmin Pro
Tom Bump, Kidmin Pro, Yosemite Summiteer

Posted: 16 March 2013 at 12:08pm | IP Logged Quote wbman

Glen,
for me the "Wordless Book" is the best tool. There are so many methods or types that use the colors that you can share it with a variety of objects.
You could find Basketballs, soccerballs or dodge balls with the colors, You can find some of these items here:

http://www.missionsresources.com/category/Wordless_Tracts.htm

Hope this helps.

Back to Top View wbman's Profile Search for other posts by wbman Visit wbman's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

Glen Woods
Kidmin Pro
Kidmin Pro

Posted: 16 March 2013 at 10:42pm | IP Logged Quote Glen Woods

Thank you for the idea, Tom!

Back to Top View Glen Woods's Profile Search for other posts by Glen Woods Visit Glen Woods's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

Stan
Kidmin Pro
Kidmin Pro
Kidmin Pro Team Member

Posted: 17 March 2013 at 9:13pm | IP Logged Quote Stan

Slip disc are a fun way to go and the gospel is clearly written on the back so anyone can share.

With the wordless book there are wordless soccer balls and braided bracelets can be bought cheap from threadsofhope.com especially if you tell them what it is for.

Rulers are good by sharing with a child that you can miss going to Heaven by twelve inches. It is twelve inches from your head to your heart. You can have all the right answers and still miss having a personal relationship with God.

Back to Top View Stan's Profile Search for other posts by Stan Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

KarenRW
Basic Member
Basic Member

Posted: 20 March 2013 at 11:11am | IP Logged Quote KarenRW

Brown Bag Bible Lessons
Take a brown paper lunch sack. You can either fill it with everyday items from your house (in the winter months) or fill it with stuff you find outside (in the summer months). It's fun to take your family members or youth group to help you fill the bag! Once the bag has a good number of items, this will become your "Object Lessons in a Bag". Go to a playground, a sporting event, or just walk your neighborhood to find people to minister to. Have them reach their hand into the bag and pull out an item. Ask them if they know what this has to do with the Bible. Sometimes, it will spark a memory of a Bible story they heard. Most will not have a clue! That is your cue to share the gospel using that object. For instance...they might pull out a withered leaf. You can share how we get weary and withered as sin takes over our life, but God can transform us into a beautiful new life if we choose to accept Christ into our, life. This is also great for large group teaching, as it has great interaction with your audience. Have fun!!
Back to Top View KarenRW's Profile Search for other posts by KarenRW Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

Glen Woods
Kidmin Pro
Kidmin Pro

Posted: 20 March 2013 at 2:50pm | IP Logged Quote Glen Woods

Stan, thank you for the ideas! By the way, what is a slip disc? Karen, I love the brown paper bag idea. Very doable in my context. Thank you!

Stan
Kidmin Pro
Kidmin Pro
Kidmin Pro Team Member

Posted: 20 March 2013 at 3:33pm | IP Logged Quote Stan

Slip disc is a frisbee with their logo on the front or yours and the gospel presentation printed on the inside of the frisbee so after they are done playing catch they can share the gospel with their friends.

www.slipdiscministries.com
Back to Top View Stan's Profile Search for other posts by Stan Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

pheather
Premium Member
Premium Member

Posted: 21 March 2013 at 10:02pm | IP Logged Quote pheather

I learned how to turn a paper airplane into a cross. pretty cool.

Take your paper and fold it long ways in half. open it. fold the right corner so it touches the left side and then the left corner the same. Fold in half. That is your airplane. Make your first tear down the side of the sheet about 1.5- 2 inches in. Then do it again half and inch to an inch in. Open it and you have a cross.

Tell the story of someone who wanted to get to heaven by flying an airplane. Did he make it (no). So he asks a priest. priest says to give his money away. so he does. flies again does he make it ( no). make your first tear in the paper. Ask's the priest again. he says to do good things. So he does that and flies the plane again. Does he make it (no). So tear the paper again. Finally, he asks his mom. She tells him to go to church all the time. So he does that and flies his plane again. Does he make it to heaven? (no). Open the paper and explain that the only way to heaven is through Jesus.
So you can adjust the story as you like. It's super fun and super cool. The kids LOVE it.
Back to Top View pheather's Profile Search for other posts by pheather Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

pheather
Premium Member
Premium Member

Posted: 21 March 2013 at 10:04pm | IP Logged Quote pheather

Also there are a lot of flip tracts that are available.

Check out
E3 resources. They make the evangicube. but also tracts that go along with it.

www.letthelittlechildrencome.com has some cool stuff too. but pricey.

Back to Top View pheather's Profile Search for other posts by pheather Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

pheather
Premium Member
Premium Member

Posted: 21 March 2013 at 10:05pm | IP Logged Quote pheather

ebands from E3 are cool too. they even have soccer balls to use with the gospel colors on them.

pheather
Premium Member
Premium Member

Posted: 21 March 2013 at 10:12pm | IP Logged Quote pheather

i reread and realized that some of those resources contain special objects. Sorry.

Glen Woods
Kidmin Pro
Kidmin Pro

Posted: 22 March 2013 at 7:17am | IP Logged Quote Glen Woods

pheather wrote:
i reread and realized that some of those resources contain special objects. Sorry.
thanks so much for all of your ideas. They are great! The reason I asked for simple everyday items is that I minister in low income urban projects. Thanks again for your help!

franktan14123
Premium Member
Premium Member
Frank Tan

Posted: 25 March 2013 at 4:17pm | IP Logged Quote franktan14123

Glen, no discussion forum on Kidology is ever complete without a mention of Speed Stacks.

On short-term mission trips with youth from a church in Texas I previously served with, we have used Speed Stacks as our "hook" and gospel tool.

We would take a few sets of Speed Stacks and set up near the pool area of neighborhood apartments, invite kids to learn to stack with us, and then using gospel-colored (Wordless Book colors) stacks, we shared the Gospel. Unfortunately, Black and Gold colored stacks are no longer sold, but if you mean to use them in an outreach situation, I'd be wiling to give you some from my sets. Let me know.

There are also other short object lessons that you could use with stacks to point toward the Gospel.

Glen Woods
Kidmin Pro
Kidmin Pro

Posted: 25 March 2013 at 8:31pm | IP Logged Quote Glen Woods

Frank, thank you for the reminder about Speed Stacks. I recall fondly when you and your family participated in that Harvest Party at my church. As I remember the details, I have to tell you it was truly an impacting part of that evening. That said, your point is well taken. Although my original question asked specifically for simple everyday items, given that I am ministering in a low-income area, I will definitely keep your idea in mind to suggest to the church leadership as they strategize future outreach efforts.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version