Login
Surveys

Do you do background checks at your church?

view more surveys
It makes a huge impact to learn from pastors in other churches. That is what I am doing with this board (The Network Forum) ...learning from other folks in different churches. I have learned more on this board than I have probably learned in my 15 years of directing children's ministry.
-Jayne Ricker
Background Checks Kidology Champions Children's Ministry Magazine

Discussion Forums

Active Topics  |  Search  |  Help
Kidmin Talk with the Kidologist
 Kidology Forums : Kidmin Talk with the Kidologist
Subject Topic: Kidmin Talk #49 - The KC Krew Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Kidologist
Administrator
Administrator
Karl D. Bastian

Posted: 05 February 2013 at 7:41pm | IP Logged Quote Kidologist

This thread is for discussion of Kidmin Talk #049

Find out why this may be the MOST IMPORTANT PODCAST YOU EVER LISTEN TO!

You can also win a FREE COPY of SCAR FORCE by posting a picture of your favorite Star Wars character below!

(Keep images under 400 pixels wide please)
Back to Top View Kidologist's Profile Search for other posts by Kidologist Visit Kidologist's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

sgphillips
Yosemite Summiteer
Yosemite Summiteer
Scott Phillips

Posted: 05 February 2013 at 8:12pm | IP Logged Quote sgphillips

had a hard time finding my favorite, but i did:

Back to Top View sgphillips's Profile Search for other posts by sgphillips Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

revlindz
Basic Member
Basic Member

Posted: 05 February 2013 at 11:49pm | IP Logged Quote revlindz

great podcast! We're working on our KC Crew, just hard to have consistency with once a month attendance on Sundays. They can't get themselves there, and sometimes it's out of their control with shared custody and family travel. But, we're working on it!
my favorite character (sorry tried to make it smaller, but the smaller ones weren't showing up!):
Back to Top View revlindz's Profile Search for other posts by revlindz Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

sgphillips
Yosemite Summiteer
Yosemite Summiteer
Scott Phillips

Posted: 06 February 2013 at 7:56am | IP Logged Quote sgphillips

Let me just add a comment about SCAR FORCE.

I went through the samples and material online and love the material.

I oversee a Summer Camp and I am always looking for great material to use for this and would love to use this in the camp this year.

Back to Top View sgphillips's Profile Search for other posts by sgphillips Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

Mr Phil
Premium Member
Premium Member

Posted: 06 February 2013 at 10:52am | IP Logged Quote Mr Phil

I had to.

Karl this is a totally exciting idea using kids to minister to kids.

Lord Bless,
Phil

ps if you have not seen the LEGO star wars cartoon you gotta. Made me laugh out loud

Back to Top View Mr Phil's Profile Search for other posts by Mr Phil Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

Kidologist
Administrator
Administrator
Karl D. Bastian

Posted: 06 February 2013 at 10:58am | IP Logged Quote Kidologist

Mr Phil wrote:
ps if you have not seen the LEGO star wars cartoon you gotta. Made me laugh out loud

There are tons of LEGO Star Wars bits online, you should link to the one you are referring to! I'd love to see it!

sgphillips
Yosemite Summiteer
Yosemite Summiteer
Scott Phillips

Posted: 07 February 2013 at 9:17am | IP Logged Quote sgphillips

Karl this was a timely post.  I am spending this new year to evaluate every area of our CM and update, revive or just encourage every departent.  My volunteers and helpers is a prime target.  Structure has definately been overlooked here and this really helps me to get this on a focused track.

Matt O
Premium Member
Premium Member

Posted: 09 February 2013 at 7:47am | IP Logged Quote Matt O

Karl, my favorite character is Boba Fett. He's a clone among millions, but he's the only one who saw Jango as his father. He had such a heart-breaking childhood experience and he chose a path of bitterness and vengeance. This kid needed a Kidmin in his life!

Back to Top View Matt O's Profile Search for other posts by Matt O Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

artist4mygod
Premium Member
Premium Member

Posted: 11 February 2013 at 12:11pm | IP Logged Quote artist4mygod

Karl,

We'd had a group for our 4th-5th graders for several years but it was mostly for fun... but after reading one of your articles about your Kids Krew and I was really convicted of wasting a valuable opportunity for discipleship.

About 4 years later our group has changed a lot! We   average about 15 kids involved in "World Changers" and we set pretty high expectations. To be honest, these kids are more faithful and dependable than most of my adult volunteers! We have had them do everything from the menial (trim carpet strings off the edge of the stage before church) to running the sound/computer and leading and teaching from the stage. We also have lots of fun- and there is definitely an excitement for the younger kids when they are finally old enough to join the group.

Without a doubt, it is the best part of my ministry, who I am most proud of, and one of the things I love most about my job.

As for my favorite Star Wars character, that is tough. I picked Admiral Ackbar, not exactly because he was my total favorite but because as a third grader the weird tentacle things on his face kinda grossed me out AND intrigued me so I just couldn't look away!

Back to Top View artist4mygod's Profile Search for other posts by artist4mygod Visit artist4mygod's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

SoCalWorshipGuy
Premium Member
Premium Member

Posted: 11 February 2013 at 11:25pm | IP Logged Quote SoCalWorshipGuy

This is Wicket.. an Ewok.... The Ewoks are AWESOME!!!!!
Back to Top View SoCalWorshipGuy's Profile Search for other posts by SoCalWorshipGuy Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

Kidologist
Administrator
Administrator
Karl D. Bastian

Posted: 13 February 2013 at 12:38am | IP Logged Quote Kidologist

artist4mygod wrote:
Karl, We'd had a group for our 4th-5th graders for several years but it was mostly for fun... but after reading one of your articles about your Kids Krew and I was really convicted of wasting a valuable opportunity for discipleship.

About 4 years later our group has changed a lot! We   average about 15 kids involved in "World Changers" and we set pretty high expectations. To be honest, these kids are more faithful and dependable than most of my adult volunteers!

Your note blessed me SO MUCH! I'm so glad you saw the opportunity and raised the bar, and now you too have discovered just how powerful as well as how fun this kind of ministry is, so it is now also the favorite part of your ministry - you just blessed my socks off and made my week! So glad to know people are hearing the message I'm trying to communicate and it's making a difference "out there."

"It's a trap!" in a good way, once you start discipling young people you are hooked!
Back to Top View Kidologist's Profile Search for other posts by Kidologist Visit Kidologist's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

artist4mygod
Premium Member
Premium Member

Posted: 13 February 2013 at 6:57am | IP Logged Quote artist4mygod

Woo HOO! So glad!

This time around you encouraged me to purchase the download for this part of the cookbook. So I'm sure you will be inspiring and challenging me to continue to develop that part of the ministry to be better and better, raising the bar again for me and the kids.

The hardest thing about it for me is when things don't run as smoothly as I like. Sometimes there are awkward silences or you wait a extra seconds for the next video to roll, or the stage lights to go on and off, or (as happened Sunday) a girl shared and prayed over the offering in one huge breath and about 6 seconds. She was so nervous, but she did it and I was super proud of her!

We've totally cut down on other activities and outings in order to focus our time and energies on discipline and developing these young people. In fact, I'm looking forward to spending Friday night with them shooting some new spy videos for our new children's church room, S.P.Y. Central :)
Back to Top View artist4mygod's Profile Search for other posts by artist4mygod Visit artist4mygod's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

Kidologist
Administrator
Administrator
Karl D. Bastian

Posted: 13 February 2013 at 10:10am | IP Logged Quote Kidologist

artist4mygod wrote:
Woo HOO! So glad! This time around you encouraged me to purchase the download for this part of the cookbook. So I'm sure you will be inspiring and challenging me to continue to develop that part of the ministry to be better and better, raising the bar again for me and the kids.[QUOTE]
I think you'll find a ton of help in there!

[QUOTE=artist4mygod] The hardest thing about it for me is when things don't run as smoothly as I like. Sometimes there are awkward silences or you wait a extra seconds for the next video to roll, or the stage lights to go on and off, or (as happened Sunday) a girl shared and prayed over the offering in one huge breath and about 6 seconds. She was so nervous, but she did it and I was super proud of her!

Remember, it's not about perfection - it's about discipleship and practice. Them DOING IT is still better than you doing it perfectly! They don't see the mistakes, and they don't see what could have been or should have been, they only see what WAS, and enjoy it. A 6 second prayer by a kid learning to be up front and lead is better than a 45 second prayer by you any day!

Keep up the great work! You are hitting the ball out of the park!

Kidologist
Administrator
Administrator
Karl D. Bastian

Posted: 13 February 2013 at 10:16am | IP Logged Quote Kidologist

MichelleG wrote:
Karl, my favorite character is Boba Fett. He's a clone among millions, but he's the only one who saw Jango as his father. He had such a heart-breaking childhood experience and he chose a path of bitterness and vengeance. This kid needed a Kidmin in his life!

YES! Imagine if a children's pastor could have found poor little bobba and invited him to a bounty hunter VBS or clone summer camp or discipled him in the power of spiritual weapons, instead of hunting Han Solo, he could have been a missionary evangelists to bounty hunters and the galaxy could have been saved so much turmoil! He could have been a galatic version of the Apostle Paul! What a lost opportunity for sure.

Perhaps he could have even reached Darth Vader before Luke, we'll never know, because no kidmin leader reached him as a child.

Who are the future bobba fetts in your life and ministry? What paths are they are? What will it take to reach them? What futures will you rewrite by reaching them?

I expanded on this and turned it into a blog post!

Matt O
Premium Member
Premium Member

Posted: 13 February 2013 at 10:48am | IP Logged Quote Matt O

Karl I am cracking up.

I'm asking those same questions about the leaders in my group right now. I started a student leadership team and they're excited! I told them that 10 years from now when they look back on the good things God has done in their lives, they'll point to this day when they joined the leadership team and say "That's when it all started for me."
Back to Top View Matt O's Profile Search for other posts by Matt O Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

Kidologist
Administrator
Administrator
Karl D. Bastian

Posted: 13 February 2013 at 11:41am | IP Logged Quote Kidologist

MichelleG wrote:
I started a student leadership team and they're excited! I told them that 10 years from now when they look back on the good things God has done in their lives, they'll point to this day when they joined the leadership team and say "That's when it all started for me."

AMEN!

Mr Phil
Premium Member
Premium Member

Posted: 14 February 2013 at 10:24am | IP Logged Quote Mr Phil

Hey Karl and Friends,
This podcast and additional posts may just be the place ten years from now I look back and say this is the place my ministry took a turn for the better. I am excited at the prospect, we have so many young teens who need some extra direction. Lets see what God will do with this.

Phil

The anti-Jarjar.
Back to Top View Mr Phil's Profile Search for other posts by Mr Phil Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

Kidologist
Administrator
Administrator
Karl D. Bastian

Posted: 14 February 2013 at 12:27pm | IP Logged Quote Kidologist

Mr Phil wrote:
Hey Karl and Friends,
This podcast and additional posts may just be the place ten years from now I look back and say this is the place my ministry took a turn for the better.

Thanks! Just added this encouragement to our testimonial page! You made my day!

Kidologist
Administrator
Administrator
Karl D. Bastian

Posted: 15 February 2013 at 9:15pm | IP Logged Quote Kidologist

OK, people may be wondering who MY favorite Star Wars character is... betcha can't guess his name... here is a picture of him: (upper right hand corner sitting on the Star Destroyer in my museum) If you need a hint, let me know!

Do you know who this is?

sgphillips
Yosemite Summiteer
Yosemite Summiteer
Scott Phillips

Posted: 15 February 2013 at 9:20pm | IP Logged Quote sgphillips

Is that suppose to be WATTO?

I thought he was greener and more insect like.

sgphillips
Yosemite Summiteer
Yosemite Summiteer
Scott Phillips

Posted: 15 February 2013 at 9:37pm | IP Logged Quote sgphillips

My other thought is Salacious B. Crumb, he is looks like him to.

franktan14123
Premium Member
Premium Member
Frank Tan

Posted: 15 February 2013 at 10:03pm | IP Logged Quote franktan14123

sgphillips wrote:

My other thought is Salacious B. Crumb, he is looks like him to.

Is that a mint condition one from 1997? I hear it sells for $14.00

Salacious B. Crumb

Kidologist
Administrator
Administrator
Karl D. Bastian

Posted: 15 February 2013 at 11:06pm | IP Logged Quote Kidologist

Frank! You should know how to make links in our forum by now! (I linked your link above for you)

Yes, it is Salacious Crumb! I love the little guy! He was from Return of the Jedi.

For those who don't know who he is, here are some clips of him from Star Wars: http://tinyurl.com/SalaciousCrumbClips

Mr Phil
Premium Member
Premium Member

Posted: 25 February 2013 at 8:57pm | IP Logged Quote Mr Phil

Karl, I am curious did anyone win the copy of SCAR FORCE mentioned in the beginning of this thread? Curious minds want to know

Phil

Kidologist
Administrator
Administrator
Karl D. Bastian

Posted: 26 February 2013 at 5:06pm | IP Logged Quote Kidologist

Mr Phil wrote:
Karl, I am curious did anyone win the copy of SCAR FORCE mentioned in the beginning of this thread? Curious minds want to know

Phil

Not yet... I was awaiting a good collection of characters and to give enough people a chance... do you feel the submissions have dried up? Is no one else going to submit a character for their chance to win?

Hmmmmmm? Anyone?

Mr Phil
Premium Member
Premium Member

Posted: 27 February 2013 at 8:57am | IP Logged Quote Mr Phil

Hello Folks,

well is seemed that the thread kinda fizzeled out after the photo of Salacious B. Crumb was posted. Maybe we were afraid we loose our eyes. Just my thoughts..\

sgphillips
Yosemite Summiteer
Yosemite Summiteer
Scott Phillips

Posted: 27 February 2013 at 3:59pm | IP Logged Quote sgphillips

Wanted to post a picture of my training session with yoda:

Kidjoni
Kidmin Pro
Kidmin Pro
Joni Lum, Kidology Champion

Posted: 27 February 2013 at 7:32pm | IP Logged Quote Kidjoni

Nice Scott!

Kidologist
Administrator
Administrator
Karl D. Bastian

Posted: 05 March 2013 at 12:06pm | IP Logged Quote Kidologist

OK - I have 6 entries, and am about to enter them in a random generator and pick a winner of Scar Force VBS!

Mr Phil
Premium Member
Premium Member

Posted: 05 March 2013 at 12:10pm | IP Logged Quote Mr Phil

Come-on Big Money!!!! lol

Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version